No. 5 A&M takes game one of weekend series against Arkansas

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel

The team celebrates after Junior first baseman Tori Vidales hits a homerun. 

The No. 5 Texas A&M softball team battled Arkansas in game one of a three game series on Friday night in Fayetteville. The Aggies won the game 3-0 to improve to 36-3 and 10-2 in SEC play. The Razorbacks fall to 25-15 and 4-12 in SEC play with the loss.

The Aggies didn’t need much run support behind junior starting pitcher Trinity Harrington’s stellar performance in the circle. The Colorado native tossed a complete game shutout, giving up just four hits, while walking one and striking out five.

Harrington didn’t get in any trouble until the bottom of the seventh when Arkansas got two hits and a walk, but left runners on second and third when the last Razorback batter struck out.

A&M got their runs by scoring one in the third, fourth, and sixth innings. In the third, sophomore second baseman Kaitlyn Alderink slapped an infield single and stole second before sophomore third baseman Riley Sartain singled her home.

In the fourth, freshman right fielder Sarah Hudek singled to leadoff the inning before junior shortstop Kristen Cuyos doubled and sophomore designated player Samantha Show hit a sacrifice fly to score Hudek from third. In the sixth, Show led off the inning with a double, and junior first baseman Tori Vidales doubled to score freshman Kelbi Fortenberry from third, who was pinch running for Show.

The Aggie offense was led by Hudek, Alderink, and Vidales. Hudek went 3-4 with a run scored, Alderink went 2-3 with a run socred, and Vidales went 1-4 with an RBI double.Arkansas was led by junior outfielders Loren Krzysko and Tori Cooper. Krzysko went 2-3, while Cooper went 1-2 with a walk.

The Aggies and Razorbacks will be back in action tomorrow in game two of the series. First pitch is scheduled for 1 p.m.