No. 6 A&M softball routs Butler and Tulsa to remain undefeated

Photo by Photo by Jesse Everett

Junior Samantha Show hits a hard in-field grounder.

The No. 6 Aggie softball team continued their undefeated season as they knocked off Butler and Tulsa on Friday by a combined score of 17-1. The games were a part of the Texas A&M Invitational that the Aggies are hosting at the Aggie Softball Complex that features A&M, Tulsa, Butler, and Iowa. Butler falls to 2-5 with the loss, and Tulsa falls to 2-4. 
“I really liked the way we played today,” head coach Jo Evans said. “I’m very very pleased. Our defense was phenomenal. I liked our fight, I liked that in the first game, we just went out there and crushed the ball and hit everything up the middle, and then the second game it was just patience. Early on, we were chasing pitches outside of the zone too often, and then we just settled in.”
Game one saw the Butler Bulldogs get on the board first with a run in the top of the first, but that’s the only lead butler would see all game as the Aggies proceeded to lay it on the bulldogs, run-ruling them in five innings. A&M started the onslaught when junior third baseman Riley Sartain singled to right field to score senior catcher Ashley Walters and junior second baseman Kaitlyn Alderink. Tori Vidales added five runs to the Aggies total with a grand slam and a solo home run in the 2nd and 4th innings, and sophomore Payton McBride finished off the scoring for the Aggies with a 2 RBI double.
The Aggies were led by Vidales, Sartain, and freshman pitcher Maddie MacGrandle. Vidales went 2-3 with those two home runs, five RBIs, and two runs scored. Sartain went 2-2 with two RBIs and two runs scored. MacGrandle made her college debut with the start and tossed all five innings, allowing just five hits and one earned run, while striking out five.
“Tori has been nails with runners in scoring position,” Evans said. “You can just tell she’s hitting the ball well, and she’s also not trying to do too much. She’s not out there trying to hit a home run, I guarantee it, but she’s locked in right now.” 
Game two was a little closer than the first one, as Aggie senior starting pitcher Trinity Harrington and Tulsa senior starting pitcher Emily Watson dueled in a scoreless tie until the bottom of the 5th when Aggie junior outfielder Keeli Milligan hit a fly ball to left field with a runner on third that was dropped by the Tulsa outfielder, allowing Milligan to go around the bases and score, putting the Aggies up 2-0. Then, in the bottom of the 6th, A&M added some insurance runs with a run on a wild pitch and a grand slam launched by Tori Vidales to close out the scoring and take the win 7-0.
“She really did look great,” Evans said about Harrington. “She was very comfortable on the mound, I mean she had maybe a couple of walks, but she was really really good. Anytime they threatened, she’d get a groundball or we’d make a great play. She was terrific all night long and played great defense.”
In game two against Tulsa, the Aggies were led by Vidales again, along with sophomore outfielder Sarah Hudek, and Trinity Harrington. Vidales continued her scorching streak going 3-4 with four RBIs from the grand slam, Hudek went 2-2 with a run scored, and Harrington threw a complete game, giving up just three hits and no runs, while striking out two.
The Aggies will continue the Texas A&M Invitational tomorrow as they take on Iowa at 12:15 p.m. and Tulsa again at 3 p.m.