No. 6 Texas A&M rallies on day two of Aggie Classic

Photo by Photo by C. Morgan Engel

Juniors pitcher Samantha Show throws the ball to second baseman Kaitlyn Alderink for the first out of the game.

On Friday, the No. 6 Aggie softball team kicked off the Aggie Classic at the Aggie Softball Complex, beating Boston College and Houston. On Saturday, the Aggies grabbed two more wins, beating Boston College again, and coming back to beat Texas Tech later in the day to improve to 4-0 on the young season.
“I just talked about staying calm,” Evans said about the deficit her team faced against Texas Tech. “I talked about how we have experience and maturity and I expect us to handle ourselves in that way, every at bat’s a lesson. I liked the way we answered back, they scored four runs and were feeling good about themselves, and we go out and score our own four runs.”
In the first game of the day, A&M run-ruled Boston College 11-3 in five innings. Senior first baseman Tori Vidales, junior third baseman Riley Sartain, and junior pitcher Samantha Show led A&M in the blowout victory of Boston College.
Vidales went 3-4 with a home run and three RBIs, while Sartain went 1-3 with a home run and two runs scored, and Show went 1-2 with 2 RBIs at the plate and tossed 4.1 innings giving up just two earned runs.
In the second game of the day the Aggies scored nine unanswered runs to come back down 5-0 and win 9-5. The Aggies were led by Vidales, senior catcher Ashley Walters, and sophomore pitcher Payton McBride. Vidales went 2-3 with a double and three RBIs, Walters went 1-3 with a three run home run, and McBride tossed four no-hit innings allowing for the Aggies to comeback.
“Really excited for Payton to get a win,” Evans said. “She’s helped us win many many games and hasn’t gotten that W next to her name, and today she earned it, she deserved that, she kept their hitters off balance, she threw very few pitches.”
The Aggies Sunday games were cancelled due to inclement weather. A&M will be back in action Tuesday as they host Stephen F. Austin for the first midweek match up of the season.