No. 7 softball take the series from Mizzou following 7-3 win

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel

Junior pitcher Lexi Smith came into the game during the second inning. She threw 99 pitches over five innings and also had three strikeouts. 

The No. 7 Aggie softball team knocked off Missouri on Sunday, 7-3 to take the series over the Tigers after winning Friday, 8-0 and losing on Saturday, 5-1. With the win, the Aggies improve to 28-3 (7-2 SEC) and the Tigers fall to 18-13 (1-4 SEC).

“I was really pleased with our kids,” head coach Jo Evans said. “We talked before the game about championship Sundays and what that’s supposed to look like. I told them championship teams are resilient and they find ways to comeback in adversity.”

Missouri came out strong, scoring three runs in the first and second innings, but the Aggies answered as they scored at least one run in each of the first five innings. The Tigers beat up on Aggie starting pitcher Trinity Harrington, but junior Lexi Smith took over for A&M and the Tigers were quickly stifled.
The turning point in the game came in the third inning when freshman Sarah Hudek hit a three-run home run that barely stayed fair down the left field line to put the Aggies up 5-3 at the time.

“That was a huge home run [Hudek] hit,” Evans said. “I was praying that thing was going to stay fair. I’m happy to see her step up in that situation and just how fired up she is to play the game, she may not always get a hit, but she’s going to give you everything she’s got, and everyone else follows her lead.”

In the circle, Smith led the Aggies as she tossed four scoreless innings, giving up just four hits and striking out three, while freshman Payton McBride closed it out with a perfect seventh inning. At the plate, A&M was led by junior Ashley Walters and Hudek. Walters went 3-4 with two runs scored and Hudek went 2-4 with the big three run home run.

Missouri used four pitchers in the game, and they all struggled. Each gave up at least two runs except for Danielle Baumgartner, who couldn’t even record an out. At the plate, the Tigers were led by senior catcher Kirsten Mack and sophomore second baseman Kolby Romaine. Mack went 2-2 with an RBI and a walk, while Romaine went 2-3 with a run scored.

The Aggies will be back in action on Wednesday at home against Texas State. First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.