No. 8 A&M soccer prepares for SEC rival Georgia

Photo by Photo by: Aimee Rodriguez

Mikaela Harvey running to score, helping first SEC win against LSU, 3-0.

The No. 8 Texas A&M soccer team continues SEC play on Friday night, playing host to the Georgia Bulldogs at Ellis Field.

The Aggies (5-2, 1-0 SEC) have compiled shutout after shutout — four in a row — to be exact, dating all the way back to a 2-0 victory over Tulsa on Aug. 28. As a team, they have compiled 378 minutes without an opponent scoring, including their first SEC victory at home 3-0, over LSU on Sept. 11.

Sunday night’s win saw two younger players contribute to the scoring — freshman Grace Piper and Jordan Hill, both of whom scored their first goals for the season. Junior Hayley Pounds is still leading the team on offense with four goals and three assists.

Georgia (3-4, 0-1 SEC) comes to College Station off of a 2-0 victory at home over Cal State Fullerton. The Bulldogs are led offensively by senior forward Marion Crowder, who has scored three goals with an assist. When the Georgia squad has hit the road this season, it has gone 0-4, with two losses on the road and two at neutral sites.

Defensively, junior goalkeeper Louise Hogrell of Georgia has put up two shutouts on the season so far, in comparison to senior Danielle Rice’s four. When comparing the number of shots saved in the first half versus the second half, both teams have more saves in the second half of matches.

Senior defender Grace Wright said Friday night is a chance for redemption from last season’s 2-1 loss against Georgia.

“We actually lost to them last season and that was our big upset,” Wright said. “And I think we’re going to come back more ready than we have been for a team like that, just because we did lose to them away and we shouldn’t have.”
Kickoff is set for 6 p.m. and will broadcast on the SEC Network, and can be heard on 95.1-2 FM.