No. 8 Texas A&M tops No. 11 Tennessee in Game 1 of final series, 5-1

Photo by Photo by: C. Morgan Engel

Junior pitcher Trinity Harrington earned the win on the mound for the Aggies Friday. 

Coming off their first series loss of the season, the No. 8 Aggies (41-7, 15-5 SEC) are seeking redemption in the Tennessee Volunteers (42-8, 14-6 SEC). In the opening night of what is to be their final three-game series to close out the regular season, Texas A&M took advantage of an error-ridden Tennessee performance.

Before heading to Knoxville for the SEC Championships, junior Trinity Harrington took the mound for the Maroon and White. She pitched a full seven innings, allowing just one run on six hits and one walk while notching two strikeout for herself. Behind Harrington was a stout Aggie defense that really stole the show Friday night.

“I’m so incredibly proud of my team,” said sophomore third baseman Riley Sartain. “I’m going to do whatever it takes to help my team and I probably took about 300 ground balls in practice this week getting ready for tonight.”

The Lady Vols are coming into this weekend series off their second series loss to No. 1 Florida. They recently had a 20-game winning streak broken in Game 3 of their series in Baton Rouge. UT’s opening pitcher Caylan Arnold couldn’t make it through her first inning before being replaced on the mound by Kelsey Morrison. Arnold conceded three runs on two hits, two errors and two walks. This allowed the Aggies to nab and early lead and set the tone for the remainder of the night.

Sophomore Kaitlyn Alderink was the first up and the first to reach base for the Aggies with a double to left field. Junior Tori Vidales then reached on an error and was followed closely by Riley Sartain who reached base on balls. A single by sophomore Samantha Show rallied in Alderink. Vidales and Sartain also advanced over home plate before the inning closed.

“We had the right mentality coming into this weekend and I think scoring 3 runs in the 1st really showed that,” Sartain said. “[Harrington] threw a really great game and that was how we should look every night.”

The Ags nearly succeeded in a shutout, conceding one run in the top of the seventh frame. Freshman Sarah Hudek later doubled to center field in the bottom of the fourth to score Show and Vidales. This concluded the Aggie offense, but it was enough to claim the win in the series opener.
The Aggies will return to action Saturday afternoon for Game 2 of their final regular season series. First pitch is slated for 1:00 p.m. in College Station.