Texas A&M pitcher Ryan Prager (18) dlivers a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Kentucky at the NCAA Men’s College World Series at in Omaha, Nebraska on Monday, June 17, 2024. Prager went for 6.2 innings, allowing two hits and zero runs. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)

No. 9 Aggies take down Kentucky with last-minute goal at Ellis

Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION

Freshman midfielder Stephanie Malherbe chases a punt against Kentucky on Sunday.

After a 1-0 loss to the No. 6 Florida Gators on Friday, the No. 9 Texas A&M soccer team bounced back with a 2-1 victory over Kentucky at Ellis Field Sunday morning.
With the win, the Aggies (10-2-1, 4-1 SEC) improved their home record to 8-1 on the season.
A&M came out firing with seven shots in the first half, three from Allie Bailey. A&M struggled to score, and its struggles continued early as several shots nearly missed the back of the Wildcats’ net, including a 10th-minute strike by Annie Kunz that passed just left of the goal.
However, A&M finally got on board with a 23rd-minute goal from Janae Cousineau, who connected with a free kick taken far out from the left side by Meghan Streight.
“Janae Cousineau was a hero for us in the way that she played,” Texas A&M coach G Guerrieri said. “One of the things that we strive for is that we want to make our free kicks and our set pieces matter and have an impact on the match. That was a good example of what that can do.”
Kentucky (7-5, 2-3 SEC) had minimal opportunities on offense in the first half, with only five shots and one on goal.
In the second half, the Wildcats moved just past the A&M’s net a few times to start the half.
One was bombed to the left side by Kelly Novak, but A&M goalkeeper Renee McDermott was there to make the save.
With 13 minutes to spare, the Wildcats scored off a cross from Kentucky midfielder Kaitlin Miller for the equalizer.
“I give Kentucky a lot of credit,” Guerrieri said. “They put themselves in good position and Renee [McDermott] made a couple big saves to keep us up. They’re an NCAA tournament team and a team that has some good wins this year.”
After subbing in the second half, Kentucky goalkeeper Taylor Braun’s luck ran out with 52 seconds remaining, when Aggie forward Bianca Brinson snuck a shot for what would be the decisive goal.
A&M ended with 16 total shots, seven of them on goal, while Kentucky finished with nine shots, just four on target.
Next, A&M will face Vanderbilt at 6 p.m. Friday in Nashville, Tenn.