Texas A&M players watch fireworks after Texas A&M’s game against Ole Miss on Friday, April 19, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
The sun will come out
The sun will come out
Incoming journalism professors Mariano Castillo and Flora Charner sit with former student and Battalion staff member Ken Sury at the FJSA Hall of Fame reception ceremony held in the J. Wayne Stark Galleries in the Memorial Student Center on Friday, April 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M welcomes new journalism professors from CNN, Dallas Morning News
Ana Renfroe and Stacy Cox April 19, 2024

At a ceremony honoring Aggie journalists, Texas A&M announced it will welcome three new journalism professors in the fall. New hires will...

LSU QB Jayden Daniels (5) runs with the ball during A&Ms game against LSU at Kyle Field on Saturday, Nov. 26, 2022. (Cameron Johnson/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first-round graded quarterback
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 21, 2024

As the 2024 NFL Draft in Detroit is closing in, a microscope gets placed on the prospects who play the sport’s most valuable position. Featuring...

The sun will come out
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

On the fast break: the Loser Bracket Champs’ playoff pursuit

Photo by Ashley Brand
The Loser Bracket Champs stand for a photo after winning a playoff game on Dec. 4, 2023. They will head to the 2024 rec league basketball playoffs on April 3, 2024. (Ashley Brand/JOUR 359 Contributor)

The Loser Bracket Champs, an intramural basketball team, will start playoffs against the Guangdong Tigers on Wednesday, April 3 at 10:45 p.m. on Court 2 at the Student Rec Center.

During the Fall 2023 intramural basketball season, the Loser Bracket Champs took home first place in the loser bracket division.

For the team to win in the playoffs, nobody can become “the guy,” aerospace engineer sophomore Matthew Singleton said. He added that the team benefits when each player plays their role efficiently and unselfishly.

“I have learned that just doing what you’re good at and not trying to be the hero will lead to more success as a team,” Singleton said. “In the playoffs this year, stay tuned, we coming.”

Players on the Loser Bracket Champs said they have been working hard to get to the position they are currently in.

“I can speak for myself and say that personally, I have been in the lab grinding to get my hops in order,” architectural engineering sophomore Cade Adkison said. “I can confidently say I am entering this postseason ready to yam on some dudes and meet anyone at the rim who wants the smoke.”

Through the regular season, the Loser Bracket Champs secured a 78-72 win over CTESPN and a 61-47 win over Sungkyunkwan University. The team lost its most recent game to Bucket Squad with a final score of 68-62.

“Key takeaways from last game are we gotta crack down on defense and be smart with the ball on offense,” statistics sophomore Isaac Graham said. “We’re gonna bounce back by just playing smart basketball and trusting that the shots will fall when they need to fall.”

Damian Buitron-Adams is a business management freshman and contributed this article from JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.