Graduate G Tyrece Radford (23) shoots the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on Saturday, Jan. 13, 2024 at Reed Arena.(Ishka Samant/The Battalion)
Projected Top 5 picks of the 2024 NBA Draft
Roman Arteaga, Sports Writer • June 25, 2024

In the 2024 NBA draft, there is an incredible amount of talent available for teams to pick. We have players from college basketball, G-League...

Out with the old.. In with the new

SSP-26.jpg
Photo by Cassie Stricker
SSP-26.jpg

The Aggie Softball Complex has been the home for Texas A&M softball since 1994, but the building is in its final days and a brand new stadium is being built just yards from where the team currently plays. 

The new stadium will be named Davis Diamond and is a state-of-the-art $28.6 million project located down Tom Chandler Drive on the opposite corner from the Aggie Softball Complex.

“I’m fired up about the new stadium,” A&M head coach Jo Evans said. “You could ask me about that every day and I’ll be happy to talk about it. I just went through it yesterday and it’s looking good. We’re a long way off. It’s certainly not going to be ready at the opening of the season, but every day I go over there and I see something new and something different and it’s exciting and something we’ve been waiting for a long time.”

The facade of Davis Diamond will follow the similar red brick theme of new A&M athletics facilities, such as Kyle Field and Blue Bell Park. The building is set to hold 2,000 spectators, an enhanced press box, club-level seating and two luxury suites.

“I’m really pumped,” junior pitcher Samantha Show said. “I can remember Coach Evans telling me when I was getting recruited that we were going to get a new stadium, so now that it’s basically up and putting final touches on it, it’s really exciting.”

In addition to the stadium itself, a building down the left field line of the stadium will house indoor batting cages, locker rooms and staff offices. The currently used Aggie Softball Complex has outdoor cages, outdated locker rooms and offices. Junior third baseman Riley Sartain said the upgrades will be welcomed. 

“We are so excited, we’ve been waiting on that for forever; it’s been in the works for a really long time,” Sartain said. “I drive by it every day and it’s exciting to see the changes in it ​throughout the year and we’re just counting down the days until we can be in it.”

The new Davis Diamond is not just for the players and coaches, but the fans as well. Fans of Aggie softball know this stadium has been needed in order to keep up with A&M’s SEC counterparts. Season ticket holder Polly Brumfield said she and her husband Tom, Class of 1956, are excited to watch Aggie softball at the Davis Diamond.

​“My husband Tom and I feel like little kids waiting for Christmas morning to come,” Polly Brumfield said. “We love Aggie softball and sincerely believe the team, the 12th Man and Texas A&M are long overdue in getting this new stadium.”

Not only will the players and coaches be more comfortable, but the fans will be as well. Davis Diamond will feature many things for fans Aggie Softball Complex has not been able to, including better sun and wind protection, more comfortable seats and upgraded bathrooms and concessions. 

“Seeing the softball stadium rise out of the ground salutes a new era for our ladies,” Polly Brumfield said. “We are looking forward to a bit of shade from the heat, a buffer from the cold winds, comfortable seats and we look forward to joining our longtime softball friends in the first big ‘Whoop,’ which will ring out of our new home.”

Although Davis Diamond was originally planned to be finished for the beginning of the 2018 season, Evans and the Aggies expect to start playing in the brand new facility on March 30 when they welcome South Carolina to College Station for a three game SEC series.

• 2,133 guests were in attendance Saturday afternoon for the second game ever hosted in Davis Diamond.

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
  • The series against Auburn is the only regular season series that will be played in Davis Diamond this year.

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
  • Texas A&M played the second game of the Auburn series Saturday afternoon in Davis Diamond.

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker
  • SSP-27.jpg

Photo by Cassie Stricker