Palmer in Masters’ top 10

Ryan+Palmer
File
Ryan Palmer

Former Texas A&M golfer Ryan Palmer played on the biggest stage in golf Thursday — The Masters. 

Palmer, who played for Texas A&M from 1996 to 1999 after transferring from North Texas, sits tied for No. 8 at three strokes under par after shooting an opening-round 69. 

The No. 23 ranked golfer in the world caught fire early, birdying four of the first eight holes, putting him one shot off the lead at the time. He made the turn to the back nine in only 32 shots, which tied Jordan Spieth’s front nine for the lowest score out of the entire field for the first round.

Palmer’s 69 was the lowest opening round he’s ever had in five appearances at the Masters, and it was tied for his best round at Augusta in his career. The only other time he broke 70 was when he shot a 69 in the third round of the 2011 Masters.

Palmer spoke with Lance Lahnhert of the Amarillo Globe-News regarding his round. 

“I’m happy with it,” Palmer said. “Anytime you break 70 here on a Thursday, it’s a good day.”

Palmer will tee off his second round at 9:13 a.m. Friday.

Twenty-one-year-old Jordan Spieth, who attended the University of Texas, finished the day as the first-round leader after shooting an eight-under 64. He was one shot shy of tying the course record at Augusta.

Defending champion Bubba Watson and world No. 1 Rory McIlroy both shot one-under par 71s, while three-time Masters champion Phil Mickelson shot two-under for his round, putting him tied for 12th.

Tom Watson, 65, became the oldest player to shoot an under-par round at the Masters. The record was previously held by Sam Snead, who was 61 years old when he shot a 71 in 1974.

Fourteen-time major winner Tiger Woods, who entered the tournament at the last minute, finished the day in 41st place after shooting a one-over par 73.