Peyton Allen transfers from A&M

Photo by By Cody Franklin

Texas A&M guard Peyton Allen, driving against Montana in a first-round NIT game at Reed Arena on March 17, has decided to transfer after his freshman season. He averaged 4.5 points in 32 games. 

Aggie basketball took quite a hit this offseason. Devonte Fitzgerald (Minnesota), Avery Johnson Jr. (Alabama), and Antuan Space (UMass) have all departed this offseason, and Tuesday the depth chart took another hit. According to multiple reports, Peyton Allen will transfer from Texas A&M, effective immediately.

The freshman from Chatham, Illinois played 14.1 minutes per game in 2014-2015, playing in 32 games and starting in eight of them. He was the best free throw shooter on the team at 80 percent and fourth on the team shooting the three at 32 percent, launching 93 three-pointers on the season and the second most on the team. He averaged 4.5 points per game and 0.8 rebounds.

Scott Phillips of NBC Sports first broke the news when he tweeted:

Illinois Jets head coach Andre McMurray, who was a coach of Allen’s, tweeted the events as well:

Allen chose A&M over Vanderbilt, Butler, and Tennessee. With a top five recruiting class coming in this year, the roster has plenty of talent, but losing a shooter of Allen’s caliber is definitely a hit to the depth chart. The news has not been made official, but sources are working to confirm the news.