Plowboys and Farmers

The Farmers hoist the Omaha Cup on Wednesday after defeating the Plowboys in the intrasquad Maroon and White Championship Series. Sarah Lane — THE BATTALION.

In what has become an annual tradition under head coach Rob Childress, the Texas A&M baseball team split into two teams, the Farmers and the Plowboys, to compete in the Maroon and White Championship Series this week. After winning the first two games on Monday and Tuesday, the Farmers cruised to a 9-0 victory to claim the Omaha Cup.
The Farmers jumped on sophomore starting pitcher Tyler Stubblefield for five runs in the first inning on the strength of a two-run home run by sophomore centerfielder JB Moss and runs batted in from Logan Nottebrok, G.R. Hinsley and Patrick McLendon.
Highly-touted freshman starting pitcher Turner Larkins tossed 4.2 scoreless innings, allowing two hits, walking four and striking out three. Senior pitcher Jason Freeman retired the final seven hitters to complete the shutout for the Farmers.
Two-way freshman Lee May Gonzalez made his first appearance on the mound for the Plowboys after playing two games at shortstop. Gonzalez allowed two unearned runs in one inning of work.
TCU transfer Boomer White was 2-for-3 Wednesday, and 7-for-10 in the three-game series. White led all players with seven runs batted in and six runs scored. He also had two doubles, a walk and a homerun. Additionally, White was 3-for-3 on stolen base attempts.
Nottebrok, who was nursing a leg injury, was 5-for-9 with three doubles and a homerun during the week.
On Tuesday, junior Matt Kent threw six innings for the Farmers in their 11-1 win, allowing three hits, one earned run, one walk and striking out five. The southpaw appeared in 26 games for the Aggies last season, including two starts.
Though they were blown out in the final two games, the Plowboys led 9-4 in the bottom of the sixth inning on Monday. The Farmers roared back with a six-run frame to secure a 10-9 win. Nottebrok sealed the win with a two-run homerun.
The teams played seven inning games instead of the usual nine.
Senior infielder Blake Allemand was a perfect 4-for-4 on Monday and ended the series 5-for-10.
Ryan Hendrix, the Plowboys Monday starting pitcher, went four innings, allowing four hits and two runs, one earned. AJ Minter gave up two earned runs in 4.1 innings during his Tuesday start for the Plowboys.
The Aggies finished last season 36-26 before losing in the championship game of their NCAA Regionals to the Texas Longhorns. Their appearance in the postseason tournament marked their school-record eighth consecutive trip.
A&M’s 2015 season is scheduled to begin on Feb. 13 when the Aggies host the Holy Cross Crusaders at Blue Bell Park.