The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

QB Davis elects to transfer

Redshirt freshman quarterback Matt Davis officially announced Thursday afternoon his intention to transfer from Texas A&M University after learning he was no longer being considered for current starter and defending Heisman Trophy-winner Johnny Manziel’s back-up position. Davis, who has competed for the open spot since last spring, fell short to junior Matt Joeckel and true freshman Kenny Hill.
Following last offseason’s head coaching change between Mike Sherman and Kevin Sumlin – along with Texas A&M’s transition into the Southeastern Conference – Davis played a key part in holding together the Aggies’ 2012 recruiting class. However, with heavily touted quarterback Kyle Allen’s commitment for the 2014 class and the addition of Hill this fall, Davis is poised to slip further down the depth chart.
The quarterback has not made any intention clear as to where he will transfer.