Texas A&M infielder Rylen Wiggins (2) reacts during Texas A&M’s game against Texas at the Austin Super Regional at Red and Charline McCombs Field in Austin, Texas, on Sunday, May 26, 2024. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Aggies’ season ends with heartbreaking loss to Longhorns

Sharper play in the sixth innings of Texas A&M softball’s NCAA Super Regional series with No. 1 Texas may have been the difference between...

Riding the winds of victory

A&M sailing team hosts alumni regatta at Lake Bryan
Photo by Kate Hennig
Sailing team president Cole Broberg and industrial engineering senior Isha Pokerna during the Austin Regatta on Feb. 3 at the opening event of the spring season. (Photo by Kate Hennig/JOUR 359 Contributor)

The Texas A&M sailing team will host an Alumni Regatta on March 30-31 at Lake Bryan. The time-honored tradition is a time for Aggie sailors to unite on the shimmering waters of Lake Bryan to share their love for sailing and the maroon and white, industrial engineering senior and team captain Kate Hennig said.

Hennig described the sailing team as a family that supports each other on and off the water.

“The Alumni Regatta is not just about the competition; it’s a day filled with Aggie spirit, where we honor our history and foster connections that last a lifetime,” she said.

The event is open to the public with no fee for spectators, but the standard $5 Lake Bryan admission fee does apply. For details about the park and directions, visit LakeBryan.com.

The regatta is a day of friendly rivalry, with added food concessions offering a taste of local fare, Hennig said. While the event is free for those cheering from the shore, anyone racing participants pays a $5 fee that goes back to supporting the team.

“It’s about the bonds we create and the lessons we learn together,” Hennig said.

Spectators can anchor their boats along the course, creating a flotilla of fans all eager to catch a glimpse of the action, Hennig explained. With the wind in their sails and the support of the Aggie family, the sailing team hopes to make this Alumni Regatta a memorable chapter in its storied legacy, Hennig said.

The team is coming off a successful competition at the Harris Kempner Memorial Regatta at Texas A&M-Galveston. The Aggies have A fleet and B fleets and the scores for each race are combined; whoever has the least number of points wins. A&M brought one team to the race and finished first, followed by Clemson and A&M-Galveston.

Computer science senior Cole Broberg is president of the sailing team.

“When we come together as a team, we harness the power of the wind and achieve greatness,” Broberg said. “It’s the collective effort that propels us forward.”

For more information, follow the Sailing Team @tamusailing on Instagram.

Cameron Campbell is a recreation, park and tourism sciences senior and contributed this article from the course JOUR 359, Reporting Sports, to The Battalion.