Robert Williams named SEC Defensive Player of the Year

Photo by File

Freshman forward Robert Williams has averaged 12.9 points per game and 9.6 rebounds.

Texas A&M freshman forward Robert Williams was named the SEC Defensive Player of the Year Tuesday. Williams also received three other accolades, including being selected Second-Team All SEC, and to both the SEC All-Freshman and SEC All-Defensive teams.
The Vivian, Louisiana, native has posted 22 multi-block games this season and has extended his school record and national-best streak to 30 straight games with a block this season.  
“I was honestly shocked about the defensive player of the year part,” Williams said. “I blocked a couple of shots but I didn’t know that I impacted the league that much. I really appreciated it.”
The 6-foot-9 playmaker has had a stellar rookie campaign, averaging nearly a double-double per game with 12.9 points per game and 9.6 rebounds. Williams scored a career-high 20 points in Texas A&M’s 71-63 loss to No. 9 Kentucky on Saturday.
Williams’ fellow teammate Tyler Davis was also named Second-Team All-SEC. Davis leads the Aggies in scoring with an average of 14 points per game and is second in rebounds with 6.9 per contest.
Davis was also named to the U.S. Basketball Writers Association All-District VII Team on Tuesday.
“I’m not really an awards person,” Davis said of receiving the awards. “They come and they go. I’m just trying to get better but it was cool.”
This is the second year in a row that Davis has been honored after being named to the SEC All-Freshman Team a year ago.
“I’m very proud of them,” A&M head coach Billy Kennedy said. “I thought, though, that without Admon Gilder they wouldn’t have got the ball. There are only so many spots but both of those guys had really good years. It’s a credit to our team and their play.”