Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

SEC West at stake in home series against Auburn

Photo by Kathryn Perez

Freshman third baseman Tori Vidales tags a runner out against North Texas.

The Texas A&M softball team will host the Auburn Tigers this weekend in a top-25 matchup that could solidify the SEC West race. 

The No. 23 Aggies (31-10, 7-5 SEC) come into the meeting on a roll after consecutive victories against UTSA and North Texas in midweek matchups. The weather might play a role in this series, however. Rain is forecasted in College Station this entire weekend, causing potential rain delays and possible postponed games.

The Aggies are led offensively by freshman Tori Vidales, who has been hitting the cover off the ball recently. The Aggies go as she goes, with Vidales going 4-4 with a homer in Wednesday night’s meeting with North Texas.

Cali Lanphear showed some pop on Wednesday along with Breanna Dozier as they added homers of their own. Head coach Jo Evans praised the production she’s getting from Vidales.

“It’s great to see her have a game like that,” Evans said. “She’s just such a good hitter. She’s particularly great with two strikes and she’s a tough out. When pitchers get ahead of her she finds a way to come back and hit home runs. She hits tough balls in the gap. Just a great job by a great hitter. She’s very, very good and I expect that we’ll see these kind of nights from her for the next four years.”

The No. 6 Tigers (38-5, 10-2 SEC) are led on offense by Emily Carosone and Kasey Cooper, both of whom are tied for the club lead in homers with 16 on the season. Carosone leads the club with 63 RBIs and Cooper is not far behind with 50 of her own. Senior Rachel Fox and the rest of the Aggie pitching staff will have their hands full with this potent Tiger lineup.

First pitch on Friday is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.