Sherman needs to take stand

Sophomore defensive lineman Adren Dorsey should be kicked off the Texas A&M football team.
No questions asked.
Not an indefinite suspension as Head Coach Mike Sherman announced today, but a full dismissal.
Sherman should have pronounced it the minute he laid eyes on the police report.
You know, the same report that said Dorsey in an altercation with his ex-girlfriend “picked her up off the ground. She advised that he slammed her onto the trunk of his vehicle. She said he then threw her to the ground.”
It’s a despicable thing to visualize. A 305-pound man tossing around a young woman by her neck into a stationary automobile, then to the concrete like a ragdoll.
Yes, she slapped him first. And, yes, he hasn’t actually been convicted of anything.
But Sherman shouldn’t wait for any announcement or guilty plea. He should stick true to his morals and beliefs. And he should relieve Dorsey of his duties on the team.
This isn’t about appeasing the fan base. Heck, it’s not even about showing players that a certain level of accountability exists when being granted the right to play football on scholarship at such a prestigious university.
Nope. This is solely about right and wrong.
What Dorsey did was wrong. There is no gray area. It is a black and white issue. I don’t care if the woman left a mark on his face the size of Kyle Field. Assault is assault. Assault on a defenseless person is taking it a step further.
This is not meant as a judgment of Dorsey’s character. I’ve never even seen the guy before, much less met him.
But I do know the act he committed was cowardly, malicious and completely unnecessary.
Sherman, since his hire, has been preaching on how he’d like to restore this program back to respectability. Well, that so-called respectability applies both on and off the field.
The fact that Dorsey was being pegged as an integral part to the Aggies’ refurbished 3-4 defense shouldn’t play a role into this decision.
Dorsey knew he was being counted on before he played ‘toss the young lady.’
He knew the other 10 guys on that side of the ball, who have been working on a daily basis since the end of the Independence Bowl, were relying on him. Most of all, he knew that Sherman, the stand-up coach who entrusts his players like family, was depending on him.
Yet, he still couldn’t show the necessary restraint.
Instead of embracing the rare opportunity that is suiting up in the maroon and white in front of 80,000 every single Saturday, Dorsey punched the Aggie football program squarely in the face.
He left a black eye on a program trying to repair its image on a national level.
Now, it’s Sherman’s job to apply the makeup to cover up this malevolent act.
David Harris is a junior economics major and sports editor.