Simonds’ excellent start leads Aggies to fourth straight SEC series win

Photo by Photo by: Kathryn Perez

Pitcher Kyle Simonds tossed a complete game gem Sunday against Arkansas, allowing only two runs on eight hits while striking out five.

A fresh bullpen for Rob Childress was no longer available Sunday after a doubleheader the day before and one of his Saturday starters, Jace Vines, lasting not even one inning.

The Aggies needed either hot bats or a complete game from starter Kyle Simonds to outlast the Razorbacks, and they got both.

Simonds captured the first complete game of his career on a personal-high of 115 pitches to help Texas A&M win 6-2 over Arkansas and clinch its fourth straight SEC series.

In his nine innings of work, the junior allowed eight hits and two runs and struck out five batters. The win moves Simonds to 7-1 on the year, the only loss coming in a series sweep by the Florida Gators.

Arkansas (26-18, 7-14) registered the first run of the game in the second inning off a Carson Shaddy RBI single. Shaddy went 3-for-4 on the day, and blasted a solo home run in the ninth to cut the deficit.

The No. 2 Aggies (35-9, 14-7) responded with a four-run fourth inning. After Nick Choruby reached first off of a throwing error, Boomer White brought him home with a double down the left field line.

Michael Barash took the lead with a double to left center, scoring White and a recently walked Ryne Birk. Nick Banks, who was moved to the seven-hole spot Saturday, recorded an RBI single to center to score Barash.

The sixth and ninth were insurance innings for the Aggies. Joel Davis extended the lead to 5-1 with an RBI single in the former, while an RBI double from White brought it to 6-1 in the latter. White finished 3-for-5 with two RBI and a pair of doubles.

The gem from Simonds followed a doubleheader that saw nine Aggies on the mound. While Mark Ecker saved A&M with a 4.1 inning win in Saturday’s second game, not many pitchers were fresh for the rubber match.

There will be no midweek game for the Aggies, and they will prepare to host Vanderbilt in a weekend series starting Thursday.