Texas A&M outfielder Allie Enright (33) makes a diving catch during Texas A&M’s game against Albany at the first round of the NCAA Women’s College World Series at Davis Diamond on Friday, May 18, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
A&M opens regional with 6-2 win over UAlbany

For a moment after UAlbany softball graduate C Maddi Petrella’s first inning two-run home run sailed over the Davis Diamond scoreboard in left...

Sixth inning comeback lifts Alabama over A&M

The Texas A&M softball team held the lead for five innings, but a six-run sixth inning from the Alabama Crimson Tide sealed the 8-5 comeback win on Saturday.

The No. 23 Aggies (24-9, 6-5 SEC) started the day with a newfound enthusiasm when senior Brittany Clopton got the game started with a single right up the middle. Freshman Tori Vidales smashed a screamer down the left field line to bring in the speedy Clopton. Two more RBIs from Ashley Walters and Cali Lanphear put the Aggies ahead 3-0 before the Tide came up to swing the bat.

The No. 5 Crimson Tide (25-7, 8-3 SEC) began to turn the game around after a pitching change to Sydney Littlejohn, who earned the win with 5.1 innings pitched and two runs allowed. The big sixth inning was started by a Marisa Runyon home run that scored two, while a pair of hits and a bases-loaded walk after a dropped foul ball ultimately gave the Tide the lead and the victory.
The series finale is set for 1:30 p.m. Sunday.