Aggies a win away from Women’s College World Series after 6-5 victory over Longhorns

Slumping Aggie softball face hot Bobcats at home

Mary Reyes

Freshman third baseman Tori Vidales leads the team in home runs with 17 on the season. 

After two tough series against top-five opponents, the Aggies get a respite from the demanding SEC road schedule.

The Texas A&M softball team aim to get back on the winning column against the Texas State Bobcats on a Wednesday midweek game at the Aggie Softball Complex.

The No. 25 Aggies (34-17, 9-12 SEC) are coming off a road stretch that saw them drop five of their six games against No. 3 LSU and No. 1 Florida on consecutive weekends. One consistent source of offense for the Aggies against these opponents was Tori Vidales, who had the only run of the game against Florida on Sunday with her team-leading 17th home run of the season.With her latest homer, Vidales moved into a tie for seventh place in the Aggie single season home run records and is only one out of a tie for fourth.

Head coach Jo Evans said Vidales’ strength and hitting prowess has been on display this season.

“She’s good enough to hit balls that are out of the strike zone, but if she’s looking for it she can hit it 250 feet,” Evans said. “You have to respect a hitter like her.”

The Texas State Bobcats (29-19, 11-6 Sun Belt) are coming into College Station on a seven-game winning streak after a convincing three-game sweep of Appalachian State in San Marcos. The Bobcats are led on offense by the duo of Kendall Wiley and Kortney Koroll, both of whom have double-digit home run totals. Wiley leads the team with a .414 batting average and 46 RBIs. The Bobcats show an ability top to bottom to drive runners in, with five players above the 20-RBI mark.

Randi Rupp is the leader of the Bobcat pitching staff and will get her chance at the Aggie lineup Wednesday. Rupp leads the club with a 21-12 record, logging 222 1/3 innings this season.
First pitch is scheduled for 6:30 p.m.