Texas A&M pitcher Evan Aschenbeck (53) throws a pitch during Texas A&M’s game against Florida at the NCAA Men’s College World Series semifinal at Charles Schwab Field in Omaha, Nebraska on Sunday, June 19, 2024. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Aggies defeat Gators 6-0 to advance to first College World Series finals
Kolton Becker, Sports Writer • June 20, 2024

There’s always a first for everything.  For the first time in program history, Texas A&M baseball is headed to the Men’s College...

Soccer closes season on a high note, looks to SEC tournament

Soccer
Photo by Morgan Engel
Soccer

The Texas A&M soccer team took the regular season finale on the road over Mississippi State 2-1, giving the team its third-straight win.

Senior defender Grace Wright scored the game winning goal with 35 minutes left in the match from 25 yards out — her first career goal at Texas A&M. The team’s win tonight snapped an 0-4 road record and was an important conference win.

This was a big win for A&M for several reasons — the team has played its way to .500 in SEC play and keeps its draw in eighth place in the SEC Tournament.

Entering tonight’s match, the team had 13 points with Ole Miss trailing by a point. A loss tonight and an Ole Miss win would’ve bumped the Aggies down to ninth place. The Rebels lost tonight 2-0 at South Carolina.

Tonight’s match kept the Alabama Crimson Tide from passing the Aggies as Bama knocked off Vanderbilt 2-0, at home. The Tide had 11 points entering tonight’s game, and now sit at 14 with a win and A&M maintains their lead at 16 points.

The Aggies (10-7-1, 5-5-1 SEC) opened the scoring in the first three minutes of the half on a goal junior Haley Pounds, A&M’s offensive leader. The Aggies carried a 1-0 score all the way through the first half. Pounds has eight goals as the regular season comes to a close and seven assists.

Defensively, the backline relied heavily on senior keeper Danielle Rice as she delivered eight saves.

The Bulldogs (6-12, 1-10 SEC) responded on a goal from freshman Mallory Eubanks in the 48th-minute, knotting the score at a goal a piece. During the rest of the match, A&M was able to keep Mississippi State from scoring despite the Bulldogs 13 shots in the second half.

“We’re starting to get healthy and we’re putting some wins on the board, but Orange Beach is going to be a grind,” head coach G Guerrieri said to 12thman.com of the postseason. “If we want to win the tournament we’re going to have to play four tough games in a seven-day stretch. It’s a tall task, but I think if any team can do it we can.”

The Aggies return to the pitch on Oct. 31 as they are set to play the Alabama Crimson Tide at 6:00 p.m. in the first round of the SEC Tournament.