Soccer knocks out Alabama, 5-0

As the sun began to set in College Station on Friday, yet another SEC soccer matchup took place at Ellis Field between the No. 5 Texas A&M Aggies and the Alabama Crimson Tide. Alabama proved to be no match for the Aggies as they rolled over the Tide 5-0 claiming their tenth shutout of the season.
The sophomores on the Aggie soccer team are a major part of what makes the team successful. The top 5 leading scorers for The Aggies are sophomores and outstanding goalkeeper Jordan Day is a sophomore as well. Texas A&M head soccer coach G Guerrieri said the sophomores are something special.
Last year at the end of the season, they were rated as the number one freshman class in the country, Guerrieri said. They trulyare special and the fact that they all came in at the same time makes them compliment each other so well. As a coach its a dream come true.
The Aggies got off to a great start when sophomore forward Shea Groom scored a goal with 36 minutes left in the first half. By the end of the game Groom would lead the Aggies in goals scoring 2 of the 5. Groom said they are feeling confident after Fridays huge victory.
This win gives us a great amount of confidence and were really excited about it, Groom said. It takes us back to last year when we were really an offensive powerhouse. Were feeling really good.
Sophomore forwards Annie Kunz, Allie Bailey, and Kelley Monogue each scored goal in Fridays game. The 5-0 blowout is a season high for the Aggies.
Sophomore goalkeeper Jordan Day made four saves in Fridays game to assure the Aggies of their tenth shutout of the season. Day has had an exceptional season this far but says she still gets nervous.
I get really nervous before games, Day said. A lot of people have been throwing stats at me and telling me how good Im doing but I just throw them away because it makes me more nervous. I just try to stay under the radar.”
Under the radar or not, the Aggies have proven they can win major games in the SEC by improving their record to (6-0-1).
The Aggies will have another SEC matchup against No. 18 Florida at 12:30 p.m. Sunday at Ellis Field.