Soccer SEC Championship clincher could come during weekend slate

Senior forward Allie Bailey dribbles past a defender during 3-1 home win against Auburn on Friday. 
Cody Franklin — THE BATTALION
Senior forward Allie Bailey dribbles past a defender during 3-1 home win against Auburn on Friday.  Cody Franklin — THE BATTALION

The No. 6 Texas A&M soccer team could claim a share of the SEC Championship as early as this weekend.
The Aggies face off Friday against the Arkansas Razorbacks in Fayetteville, Ark., then host the No. 21 South Carolina Gamecocks Sunday at home.
A&M (7-1-0, 21 points) is perched atop the SEC standings. Threats to A&M’s standing include Florida (6-2-0 SEC, 18 points), followed by Georgia (16 points), Missouri and Kentucky (15 points each).
A&M’s last match with Arkansas (7-4-5, 3-2-3 SEC) saw the Aggies battle back from a 3-1 deficit to claim victory in overtime.
Leading the way offensively for the Razorbacks is Ashleigh Ellenwood, who has registered 18 points off five goals and eight assists. Claire Kelley trails shortly behind with 17 points.
Cameron Carter has started all 16 games for Arkansas at goalkeeper, allowing 1.14 goals per game. She has 71 saves on the season and five recorded shutouts.
Arkansas has scored 26 goals on the year but has allowed 20.
The Aggies continue to be led offensively by seniors Shea Groom and Kelley Monogue. The duo both stand at 27 points on the year — Groom with 12 goals and three assists, Monogue with 10 goals and seven assists.
Junior Janae Cousineau has registered four goals in her last four matches for A&M, and senior Bianca Brinson has also hit a hot streak, totaling 17 points on the season behind six goals and five assists.
A&M head coach G Guerrieri has employed a two-goalkeeper system recently, using Renee McDermott and Jordan Day in the net. McDermott has played in 16 games while Day has played in just four due to injury. Day has recorded four saves on the year and has yet to allow a goal in just more than 150 minutes of play. McDermott has allowed 16 goals in 1,306 minutes of action with 34 saves.
After Arkansas, the team heads back to Ellis Field to take on South Carolina, a program the Aggies are an undefeated 4-0 against all time. The Gamecocks are 11-4-1 overall and 4-3-1 in the SEC headed into this weekend.
In goal for the Gamecocks is Sabrina D’Angelo, who has recorded eight shutouts on the year while allowing .50 goals per game.
A&M’s season concludes Oct. 30 with a home contest against Georgia at 7 p.m. at Ellis Field.