Soccer takes two losses in Tenn.

The No. 17 Texas A&M soccer team lost two tough battles this weekend to No. 7 Florida, 3–2, and to Tennessee, 1–0, in the Tennessee Lady Vol Classic in Knoxville, Tenn.
Despite the Gators scoring first in the 25th minute of Saturday’s matchup, A&M controlled the game offensively. The Aggies posted a 21-to-12 shot advantage and led in corner kicks, 4-to-1.
“The first half was a pretty even half,” head coach G Guerrieri said. “We led 8-to-7 in shots and we made some adjustments. We talked about things we wanted to do in the second half and the players came out and did everything but put the ball in the back of the net. I thought Florida did a great job of withstanding a lot of pressure by us.”
Within 10 minutes of Florida taking a 1–0 lead, the Aggies responded with two goals of their own. In the 30th minute, freshman Annie Kunz began the rapid two-score rally when she nailed a high-kick shot into the back of the net on a free kick from senior Merritt Mathias.
Five minutes later, A&M would take its first and only lead of the match freshmen Kelley Monogue dribbled down the left side of the field and sailed a shot passed the Florida goalie for a 2–1 Aggie lead.
With minutes left in the first period, Florida’s Taylor Travis headed a shot from Lindsay Thompson for a goal, taking a 2–2 tie into the half.
The second half was gridlocked for the most part at 2–2, with great defensive efforts from both teams. Florida was able to draw freshman goalie Jordan Day out of the goalie box, where the Gators took full advantage and shot on goal, but sophomore Rachel Lenz was able kick the shot out for an Aggie save.
As an overtime period seemed imminent, Florida’s McKenzie Barney delivered the game ending shot as the final seconds ticked off the clock, averting an overtime period to claim a 3–2 victory for the Gators.
The Aggies concluded the Tennessee Lady Vol Classic on Sunday, with a tough 1–0 loss to Tennessee. The A&M squad out shot Tennessee, 15 shots, six on frame, to Tennessee’s eight shots, three on frame.
But to the Aggies’ dismay, they were not able to put any points on the board, thus dropping its third game of the season, and second consecutive (2–3). The Aggies’ next game is at 6:30 p.m. Sept. 2 at the Aggie Soccer Stadium against Dartmouth College.