Soccer’s road struggles continue with 2-0 loss

Photo by Kathryn Perez

Sophomore Haley Pounds leads the Aggies with nine goals on the season. 

In a top-20 matchup, the A&M soccer team fell 2-0 at the hands of Auburn Sunday in Alabama.

Auburn forward Casie Ramsier scored two goals in 11 minutes to lead the Tigers to their fifth SEC victory, which puts them in 2nd place behind South Carolina in the SEC standings.

No. 17 A&M (11-4, 4-3 SEC) was shutout for the first time this season, and has struggled on the road, losing its last three outings to South Carolina, Georgia, and now No. 18 Auburn. Despite outshooting the Tigers 13-8, the Aggies were unable to hit the target, putting only one shot on goal. 

Coach G Guerrieri discussed the team’s offense not being effective with 12thman.com after the defeat.

“In the end, we needed to come up with some offense and capitalize on the possession and attacks that we had,” Guerrieri said. “Auburn’s goal producer [Casie Ramsier] produced a couple of goals. We needed that kind of finishing.”

Auburn (12-2, 5-2 SEC) was clinical with its finishes and stout on defense. The team only put three shots on target but managed to bury two of them. The Tigers’ defense maintained a clean sheet against an A&M team that entered the match first in the SEC in goals with 36.

After a scoreless first half, the Tigers broke the deadlock in the 49th minute when Ramsier scored her ninth goal of the season. Karlie Mueller was covering Ramsier when she was elbowed in the head and went down with a possible concussion. The junior was free and fired a rocket from outside of the box into the top corner past goalkeeper Mia Hummel to put Auburn up 1-0.

Ramsier struck again 11 minutes later in the 60th minute to double the lead. Sophomore forward Hannah Alspach whipped in a cross to Ramsier, who headed home to the bottom left corner from 10 yards out.

The Aggies had four shots in the final 10 minutes but were unable to find the back of the net. 

Guerrieri shared his thoughts on the game and his captain’s injury with 12thman.com after the match.

“I’m disappointed in the result by not in the way my young ladies kept their heads and tried to play through the physicality being dealt on them,” Guerrieri said. “It is tough enough to play on the road. It becomes that much harder when our captain lay on the ground possibly concussed while play goes on and they immediately score a goal to put you in a hole.”

The road trip continues for the Aggies as they take on Kentucky next Friday. Kick-off is scheduled for 6:30 p.m. and the match can be seen on the SEC Network +.