Softball catches perfection in California

Unlike the first trip to California, the Aggies finished 5-0 this time.
The No. 23 Texas A&M softball team (12-4) went a perfect 5-0 this weekend at the Mary Nutter Classic, finishing up Sunday with successive victories over Syracuse 9-1 and Stanford 4-0.
A&M began the classic with an 8-5 win over BYU, with Senior Rachel Fox throwing yet another complete game with a season-high ten strikeouts.
The Aggies began Saturday with a 7-0 win over UCSB with junior Katie Marks throwing a second consecutive complete game for the Aggies giving up only six hits and one walk. Junior Cali Lanphear hit a two run RBI triple to get the Aggies on the board and gave Marks some run support.
The second game of the doubleheader was a lot closer as the Aggies took home a gritty 2-1 win over Cal State Fullerton. A solo shot homer over the center field wall by Lanphear was the only hit of the second inning and gave the Aggies the lead run. Neither team could muster up any offense until later in the game, when Cal State Fullerton and the Aggies score single runs.
The Aggies got off to a slow start on Sunday with Syracuse getting on the board first with a solo homerun in the first inning. Freshman Tori Vidales continued her hot hitting with her second homerun of the weekend bringing home two Aggies to go up 5-1 in the second inning. Freshman Kristen Cuyos hit two home runs on the day, the first two of her career.
The second game was no different in comfort, as Lanphear started the scoring against Stanford with a two run RBI single. Lanphear had eight total RBI’s in the tournament.
The Aggies get back in action at home against Houston. First pitch is scheduled for 6 p.m.