Softball preps for final stretch before SEC play

The Texas A&M softball team will play their final string of games this weekend before the start of SEC play as they host the Texas A&M Invitational.
Boston University (0-5) is up first in a doubleheader starting Friday. The Terriers do have familiarity on their side as they played the Redbirds of Illinois State last weekend, but fell 6-5. The Aggies will play them again at 5:15 p.m. Friday.
Illinois State (6-9) is the second game of two Friday, and it enters the tournament losing two of its last three, however, one of its losses came in a 4-1 defeat at the hands of No. 1 Florida. On Saturday, the Redbirds kick off the second Aggie doubleheader at 3 p.m.
UTSA (12-4) will face A&M once at 12:15 p.m. Sunday, and the Roadrunners have gotten off to a solid start this season.
Their most notable victory came from Texas Tech in their second game of the season. The Roadrunners have a trio of batters in Kendall Burton, Courtney Buchman and Megan Low who are all tied for the team lead in home runs with five, one less than SEC leader and Aggie Tori Vidales. Jade Smith leads the club with a .477 batting average.
The No. 23 Aggies (13-4) rebounded quite nicely after its loss to No. 2 Oregon, winning six straight contests. The freshman duo of shortstop Kristen Cuyos and third baseman Tori Vidales have been more than able to carry the load for Head Coach Jo Evans, with Vidales leading the SEC with six home runs.
A play to watch could be sophomore Abby Donnell — a usual relief pitcher — who went 3-for-3 from behind the plate with a double this Wednesday.
First pitch against BU begins at 3 p.m.