Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • May 23, 2024

A warm, summer evening bestowed Hoover, Alabama on Wednesday night when the No. 4 Texas A&M Aggies faced the No. 15 Mississippi State Bulldogs...

Softball readies for bout with Red Raiders

After defeating No. 6 Oklahoma in its most recent game, the No. 14 ranked Aggie softball team (29-13, 9-5 Big 12) looks to have the same result against a very hot Texas Tech team in Lubbock on Tuesday.
Tech (34-10, 7-5 Big 12) is coming off a big weekend at Missouri, taking the first two games and losing the third off a walk-off home run.
Theyre really hot and they do a great job swinging the bat, head coach Jo Evans said. They are a team that you can never overlook and we dont. On paper they are great, and they can really hit the ball. Were going to have to play really well to beat Texas Tech at their place.
The Red Raiders went to Columbia after stealing a game from then No. 5 Texas in Austin. After taking two against No. 9 Missouri, Tech is proving that it is a force to be reckoned with.
They are really good, junior Mel Dumezich said. They are coming off those three wins in the last two weeks which are huge.
Junior catcher Adriana Perez leads the team with 13 home runs and a .385 batting average. Her 50 hits is also a team best, with junior Mikey Kenney following behind her with 42 and hitting .323 on the season.
After having a rough start on Friday, Dumezich regained her composure and threw a shutout against a tough Oklahoma squad. Although she has been struggling a bit at the plate as of late, her ERA of 1.79 and 234 strikeouts in the circle easily make up for that.
She had a real dry spell where she didnt look good at all at the plate. Shes been hitting the ball hard and hasnt been rewarded. She can recognize that she is seeing the ball well. Shes got some maturity in approaching those at bats. If youre stuck on outcomes, youre going to hit yourself into slumps all the time. She can get it done on the field, and she has the maturity to go out there and get the outs when she needs them.
The Aggies have been propelled by sophomore Nicole Morgan in their last two series, including the three-run single in their win against OU. Sophomore Cassie Tysarczyk has also been clutch at the plate, with the usual Meagan May and Dumezich home runs mixed in.
I just feel more comfortable at the plate now, Morgan said. Im not as worried about if I will get a hit or home run anymore, so being relaxed is really helping me right now.
The two teams will face each other in a doubleheader on Tuesday at 5 p.m. and 7 p.m. The series will finish with a final game on Wednesday.