Texas A&Ms attendance for the Alabama game was at 108,101 fans ranking it at the third largest game in Kyle Field history.(Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
‘The Mexican 12th Man’

Growing up in the hills of Monterrey, Mexico, Pedro and Carlos Luna were surrounded by soccer.  Clad in the gold and blue of Tigres UANL,...

Softball run rules both opponents to open Invitational

Boston — THE BATTALION

Pitcher Katie Marks doing what she does best in run rule victory

Frigid temperatures and relentless winds characterized the first night of the Texas A&M Invitational, or at least that’s how it felt for those spectating the event.
However, the brutal weather conditions had little, if any, impact on the No. 22 Texas A&M softball team’s bats, which were responsible for run ruling both of its opening round opponents. This received grand approval from head coach Jo Evans.
“I’m really excited about it,” Evans said. “Because when you get in that kind of temperature and it continues to get colder and the wind’s blowing in, it’s not easy, it’s not easy for hitters, and, for our kids to go out there and just be steady, and just continue to put pressure on teams, and to hit like that, it’s impressive.”
The first victory of the doubleheader featured an 8-0 handling of Boston University. The Aggies got on the board first with a Cali Lanphear sacrifice fly to the right in the first inning, which scored one of three walked batters.
In the third inning, Tori Vidales and April Ryan furthered the Aggie charge. Vidales sent a line drive to left field to open the attack, and Ryan followed it with a rope down the right field line. Since it landed just inside the chalk, Vidales scored from first base, giving them a 2-0 lead.
The Aggies steamed up the bats again in the fifth, scoring three runs. Then, in the sixth, an Ashley Walters three-run homer effectively run ruled Boston University, 8-0, and ended their first game of the Invitational.
Texas A&M then welcomed Illinois State University, and the Aggies would waste no time in taking care of their second opponent.
The Aggies exploded in the bottom half of the first inning with six runs on five hits highlighted by another hit from Ryan, this time being a two on, two out, three-run slam.
The quick, crisp work of A&M’s pitcher Rachel Fox only added to the Illinois State woes. Fox slung 59 pitches through the course of four innings, and totaled seven strikeouts.
A&M routed Illinois State 16-1 and Evans credited her pitchers from both games for the efficient work they made out of the opponents, allowing A&M to spend less time out in the field.
“You know, you look at Illinois State, and they spent a lot of time out there in that cold on the field and our kids were in the dugout,” Evans said. “So, it’s just nice to see us, our pitchers really set the tone on a night like tonight.”
Tournament action continues for A&M Saturday at 3 and 5:15 p.m.