Softball sweeps A&M Invitational

Photo by Photo by: Jena Floyd

Sophomore Kristen Cuyos hit three home runs, including two grand slams, in this past weekend’s Texas A&M Invitational.

A week after going 6-0 in the Mary Nutter Classic, the No. 14 Texas A&M softball team swept another tournament.
This time the Aggies secured first at home at the Texas A&M Invitational. Texas A&M went 5-0 in the tournament, which featured Indiana, UTEP and Texas A&M-Corpus Christi, among others. The Aggies improved their overall record to 17-1.
Three of the five games ended in a run-rule for the Aggies, in which A&M racked up 36 runs. The two games that didn’t end in a run-rule were against Indiana, with the final scores being 4-0 and 4-2.
“I’m happy with the way we played this weekend,” head coach Jo Evans said. “I thought we stayed really consistent in our level of play, our enthusiasm and our attention to detail. I was pleased to see us not let down at all.”
The Aggies had an offensive explosion over the weekend, as they scored a combined 44 runs in the five games they played. Senior Cali Lanphear and sophomore Kristen Cuyos led the onslaught for much of the weekend. Lanphear went 7-12 at the plate, adding two home runs and eight RBIs. Cuyos hit at a .400 clip and tacked on 10 RBIs with three home runs, two of which were grand slams.
“Our offense was so potent all through the order,” Evans said. “I’m pleased with the way our hitters are making adjustments at the plate and making it really hard for opposing pitchers.”
Freshman Samantha Show and senior Katie Marks led the way for Texas A&M in the circle. Show threw 14 innings, allowing only two runs and striking out five. Marks was dominant for the Aggies in the tournament, allowing 0 runs and only four hits in 12 innings of work.
“I’m excited about what our pitching staff did this weekend,” Evans said. “We had quality innings from all of our pitchers and they gave us a chance to win games by controlling the strike zone.”
The Aggies will be back in action this weekend as they travel to San Diego for the San Diego Classic. Texas A&M will start the tournament on Friday at 6:30 p.m. against Boston University, and will follow that with a 9 p.m. matchup against the tournament’s co-host, San Diego State.