Softball takes on Georgia Tech

The Texas A&M softball team is looking to extend its 11-game winning streak today as the No. 9 Georgia Tech Yellow Jackets visit College Station.
The No. 20 Aggies have been dominant in the last two tournaments, winning both with perfect records.
“It’s nice to have the confidence,” said Head Coach Jo Evans. “I’m especially pleased with our defense. If you look at the games we’ve lost prior to the tournaments, it has mainly been because of our defense. Our bats have not been as consistent as we want to be, but we are scoring runs and that is what matters.”
As the season progresses, the defense has been the bright spot for the team and the offense is continuing to improve.
“I’ve been really impressed with our defense,” said junior [position] Rhi Kliesing. “It has been really solid. Other teams have not really even had a chance to score.”
Georgia Tech will be a big test for the Aggies, coming in with a 24-4 record. The Yellow Jackets boast freshman pitcher Hope Rush, who was named the ACC Pitcher of the Week for the second time.
Along with her 1.37 ERA and 10-3 record, Rush is also an offensive threat, hitting .500 in the last several games.
“I know they are really aggressive, hit the ball well, and they are very well coached,” Evans said. “They played Super Regionals last year and their program has just been really successful. They are a really tough team and play hard-nosed softball.”
The girls, however, are ready for the challenge. They played tough teams at the recent tournaments and expect the same from the Ramblin’ Wreck.
“I honestly think this last weekend was a test because we played teams that challenged us,” said sophomore pitcher Becca Arbino. “We were able to push through even when we had 22 strikeouts against us in a game. At crunch time we were really able to really play when it mattered.”
Even with offensive instability at certain points, the Aggies are finding ways to have success against the big-time teams.
“We probably have not played up to as good as I think we possibly can, and have had some trouble hitting certain pitchers,” Arbino said. “But we have found ways to win and I think that’s the mark of a great team.”
Freshman Meagan May is leading the Aggie offense with a .450 batting average, including 10 long balls and 34 RBIs.
“Meagan really has an incredible presence at the plate and she is putting up numbers that are really off the chart. Typically a freshman doesn’t put up a .400 average and she has already surpassed the RBI leader from last season.”
A&M will need to utilize defensive talent and offense to secure a win going into Big 12 play.
“I would have to say our patience in games and the fact that we’re not panicking when we do not score right away,” Kliesing said. “We can still stay calm and focused and find a way to win the game in the end.”
The Yellow Jackets will be the last opponent the Aggies face before beginning conference play this weekend against Kansas. Game time for Wednesday’s game is set for 6:30 p.m.