The No. 3 Texas A&M baseball team took on No. 1 Tennessee Thursday at 1 p.m. at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium in Hoover, Alabama. Despite its...

Softball team sweeps home-opening doubleheader in Aggie Classic

The No. 23 Texas A&M softball team (5-2, 0-0 SEC) won both ends of its doubleheader Friday in the Aggie Classic at the Aggie Softball Complex, shutting out Penn State 8-0 in five innings and ending the evening with a 6-1 victory over Eastern Michigan.
Sophomore April Ryan began the scoring for the Aggies, hitting her first home run of the season in the bottom of the third. Freshman Tori Vidales continued her hot start to the campaign by nailing her second solo home run of the young season to increase the Aggie lead to 5-0. Those runs would be plenty for senior Rachel Fox, who pitched a shutout.
Senior Lauren Ainsley was the starter going into the second game of the doubleheader against Eastern Michigan. Ainsley gave up a solo home run in the second inning to fall behind 1-0, but the Aggies rebounded by taking the lead in the fourth with an RBI double by freshman Ashley Walters, bringing April Ryan home. From then on, the Aggies held control of the game.
Play continues at 3 p.m. Saturday with a doubleheader against Eastern Michigan and Penn State.