Speedy Noil likely out for SMU game

Sophomore quarterbck Kenny Hill claims to be one of the more laid-back members of the team. 

Noil Injury Update
Freshman wide receiver Speedy Noil likely won’t play against SMU, head coach Kevin Sumlin said Tuesday, but other Aggies who were injured or sat out against Rice might return to the lineup, including tight end Cameron Clear.
“Speedy probably will not play this weekend,” Sumlin said. “I would say Zaycoven [Henderson] will play Saturday. Mike [Matthews] is probable. Jordan [Mastrogiovanni,] same. [Cameron Clear,] same.”
Next Man Up
Despite the expected absence of Noil, offensive coordinator Jake Spavital said the offense will likely stick to its game plan.
“I don’t think it’s going to change anything,” Spavital said. “It’s just another opportunity for a kid to step up and make plays. I’m very pleased with all of the receivers that we’ve got. Ed Pope’s going in at that position right now, and Pope’s had a great first three games, so it’s not going to change what we’re doing offensively.”
Arnold’s Transition
Transitioning from playing defensive end in 2013 to moving inside to the three-technique spot this season, sophomore defensive lineman Jay Arnold said the switch is going well and that he is comfortable at his new position.
“I played a little bit of three-technique last year, so the transition hasn’t been too rough on me,” Arnold said. “One thing I would say is a lot better is not having to worry about zone read on the outside. Definitely a little easier on the inside playing that.”
Defensive coordinator Mark Snyder said he needed to better incorporate Arnold into the game plan.
“We’ve got to get Jay on the field more, no doubt about it,” Snyder said.
Receiving Corps
Texas A&M leads the SEC in passing yards with 1,225 and passing touchdowns with 13. Senior wide receiver Malcome Kennedy attributes much of the group’s success to the depth at the wide-out position.
“All these young guys being able to play has boosted us so much,” Kennedy said. “We’ve got a few guys injured now, and we’ve got guys behind them that will come in and pick up where we left off. Having that depth is always a dangerous tool.”
The ball has been spread around to 16 different receivers who have recorded catches, and redshirt freshman Ricky Seals-Jones said celebrating each other’s success is more important to the group than individual statistics.
“We dont mind who gets [the ball] as long as we win and we’re having fun,” Seals-Jones said. “No one really cares about stats, we just have each other’s back and go out there and play with each other day in and day out.”
Kenny Chill
When asked who the most laid-back member of the team was between the two, Seals-Jones and quarterback Kenny Hill had different answers.
“I think I take the cake for the most laid back on the team,” Hill said. “[Ricky’s] a close second though. I’ll go hang out with him and we won’t even say much. We’ll just sit back on the couch and just chill and watch TV.”
Seals-Jones said the two were equally relaxed.
“It’d probably be a tie,” Seals-Jones said.