Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 11, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Ring Day run rule
Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • April 12, 2024

It was Ring Day in Aggieland when No. 3 Texas A&M faced off against No. 6 Vanderbilt on Friday night in the first game of a three-game set. The...

Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Aggie men’s tennis loses first home match

Winning and losing by the same scoreline of 6-1, A&M men’s tennis is 8-1 at home
Photo by Connor May
Junior Luke Casper and Graduate Student Kenner Taylor prepare for the opposing serve at Texas A&M’s match against Pepperdine on Sunday, Feb. 25, 2024, at the Mitchell Tennis Center. (© Connor May/The Battalion)

No. 12 Texas A&M men’s tennis split its doubleheader on Friday, March 13 with opponents in UTRGV and Ohio State.

Match 1 vs UTRGV

Aggie men’s tennis defeated the Vaqueros 6-1 at Mitchell Tennis Center with a doubles point clinch from redshirt freshman Grant Lothringer and freshman Brayden Michna.

The doubles point was clinched by the Court 2 duo of Lothringer and Michna, 6-3. Paving the way for Lothringer and Michna was sophomore Ethan Silva and freshman Lathan Skrobarcek who defeated their UTRGV opponents on Court 3 6-1.

While the doubles point was secured, the Court 1 pairing of freshman Tiago Pires and graduate Kenner Taylor led against senior Emilien Burnel and freshman Ivo Isqueiro 5-4. The Court 1 doubles play ended as A&M earned the point.

Going into singles play, Silva quickly added to the Aggies’ lead by outplaying freshman Will Roberts in two sets on Court 6, 6-2, 6-0.

No. 64 junior JC Roddick was the next to earn a point for the Maroon and White as he defeated Burnel 6-3, 6-1 on Court 1.

The match was clinched by Skorobareck in his win over freshman Paolo Bonaguro on Court 5, 6-0, 7-5.

The Aggies and the Vaqueros played out the rest of the matches with Lothringer and Michna winning on Courts 3 and 2, respectively. Kenner fell to freshman Santiago Serrano in three sets on Court 4.

Match 2 vs Ohio State

A&M men’s tennis, 14-4, and 3-1 in conference, came off its 6-1 victory over UTRGV and fell 6-1 to No. 1 Ohio State. History repeated itself in this home game as the Aggies fell to the Buckeyes, 7-0, during the 2022-23 season.

The match started with doubles, the Buckeyes duo graduate Cannon Kingsley and senior JJ Tacy took on Pires and Taylor. Pires and Taylor lost the match 4-6, making them the first duo to lose a point.

Tracy leads Ohio this season with 23 singles wins and 20 doubles wins. Sophomore Togan Tokac took on Tracy during singles play. Tokac had the lead as Tracy fell short due to serves hitting the net but being one of the three Buckeye starters that have not lost a singles match meant coming back. Tokac shortly fell to the volley player, 6-3,6-7,10-7

The Maroon and White duo junior Giulio Perego and Tokac led in points against graduate Justin Boulais and graduate Andrew Lutschaunig. Tokac and Perego are leading the Aggies in doubles win, 8-3. After multiple lob and slice shots, the Aggies took their first win, 6-2.

Luke Casper and Roddick served cross-court shots and had no issue rotating fluidly. The Aggies came close to earning the second point but fell to graduate Robert Cash and freshman Bryce Nahashima. The Buckeyes were consistent with their back shots but caught their opponents off guard when they started serving toward the front. The tiebreaker ended 7-6,7-2

The Buckeyes remained dominant in singles matches as Ohio had five players ranked in singles. The Buckeyes have lost five singles matches during the dual season. Roddick, who has five ranked wins and is on a four-match winning streak, took on Kingsley on Court 2 and cleared a win in both sets 6-2,6-4. After Casper and Pires fell to sophomore Alexander Bernard and Cash, the Buckeyes clinched the match.

“I thought we fought hard and got playing time for the entire squad,” head coach Steve Denton said. “I am proud of the way we competed tonight. We have to move on and get ready for Tennessee on Friday. Another great team that presents a great opportunity.”

The Maroon and White are set to play the No. 8 Tennessee Volunteers on Friday, March 15, at the Mitchell Tennis Center.

View Comments (1)