76th Speaker of the Senate Marcus Glass, left, poses with incoming 77th Speaker of the Senate Ava Blackburn.
Student leaders reflect on years of service in final Student Senate meeting
Justice Jenson, Senior News Reporter • April 18, 2024

The Student Government Association wrapped up its 76th session by giving out awards such as the Senator, Committee and Statesman of the Year...

Freshman Tiago Pires reaches to return the ball during Texas A&M’s match against Arkansas on Sunday, April 7, 2024 at Mitchell Tennis Center. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)
No. 14 Aggies receive early exit from SEC Tournament
Matthew Seaver, Sports Writer • April 19, 2024

The No. 14 Texas A&M men’s tennis team fell to the No. 44 LSU Tigers 4-3 in a down-to-the-wire duel on Thursday, April 18. Facing off at...

Julia Cottrill (42) celebrating a double during Texas A&Ms game against Southeastern Louisiana on Thursday, Feb. 22, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
Muffled the Mean Green
Members of the 2023-2024 Aggie Muster Committee pose outside the Jack K. Williams Administration Building. (Photo courtesy of Aggie Muster Committee)
Orchestrating a century-old tradition
Sydnei Miles, Head Life & Arts Editor • April 18, 2024

As Muster approaches, the Aggie Muster Committee works to organize a now century-old tradition. These students “coordinate every facet” of...

(Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Opinion: ‘Fake Money,’ real change
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 19, 2024

Us Aggies live privileged existences: companies beg us to take on tens of thousands in loans.  I know this may sound contradictory, but the...

Extra inning home run heartbreaker

A low scoring affair between A&M and LSU went into extra innings as the Tigers took Game 1 with a walk-off homer
Photo by Lana Cheatham
Texas A&M infielder Kennedy Powell (1) slides back to second base during Texas A&M’s game against Auburn on Sunday, March 24, 2024, at Davis Diamond. (Lana Cheatham/The Battalion)

Tamed by the Tigers on the road, Texas A&M softball dropped Game 1 to LSU off of a walk-off home run in the bottom of the eighth on Thursday, March 28.

With the bases loaded from sophomore 1B Amari Harper and graduate CF Jazmine Hills’s singles plus senior DP Trinity Cannon’s walk, senior C Julia Cottrill was walked to put the first run up for the Aggies in the bottom of the first.

Walking the first batter she faced, junior LHP Emiley Kennedy got out of the first without a run and struck out the final batter looking.

Junior SS Koko Wooley stole second and advanced to third, but she was called out at first after a challenge by LSU saw her leaving first early. With the change in the call from safe at third to out at first, A&M went on defense.

In back-to-back 1-2-3 innings, Kennedy had retired nine consecutive batters by the third.

The bases were loaded for the Tigers with a single by graduate DP Kelley Lynch sandwiched by two walks. Junior RF McKenzie Redoutey’s single to Wooley ended the threat of the Tigers earning their first run.

Sophomore C Maci Bergeron doubled to right field in the fifth, and sophomore Maia Townsend pinch ran for her. The next batter, freshman 3B Maddox McKee, advanced on a fielding error by Wooley, sending Townsend to third. McKee got out on a double play of senior 2B Rylen Wiggins to Harper. A single to Wooley by graduate CF Ciara Briggs sent Townsend home to tie the game, 1-1.

The sixth inning came and went with each pitcher retiring three batters.

The top of the seventh left one runner on for the Aggies as Kennedy returned to the circle to try and extend the game into extra innings.

Redoutey singled off Kennedy’s first pitch of the inning to sophomore 3B Kennedy Powell. After a fly out by Bergeron, sophomore McKaela Walker entered to pinch hit for McKee. Striking out looking, Walker left the batter’s box for the final batter of the night to fly out to left field.

It was time for extra innings.

After ground and line outs by Wooley and Harper, Hill was walked by Berzon. Subbing in for Hill, freshman Hailey Golden went to first to pinch run. Cannon struck out looking, and it went to the bottom of the frame.

Graduate SS Taylor Pleasants homered to center field to end Game 1. She earned her sixth home run of the season.

The Aggies will take on the Tigers in Game 2 on Friday, March 29 with first pitch at 5 p.m.