Junior INF Koko Wooley (3) catches the ball during Texas A&Ms game against Kentucky on April 7th, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Sophomore LHP Ryan Prager (18) celebrates getting the last strikeout during A&Ms games against Vanderbilt on Friday, April 12, 2024, at Olsen Field. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Ring Day run rule
Troubles in ‘Loosa
Ring Day run rule
Dr. Weston Porter (top left) and researchers from the breast cancer lab. (Photo courtesy of Dr. Weston Porter)
New A&M research initiative provides cutting-edge cancer treatments
J.M. Wise, News Reporter • April 8, 2024

It has been 20 months since Michelle Pozzi, Ph.D, of Texas A&M’s Biochemistry and Biophysics department was diagnosed with cancer. However,...

Troubles in ‘Loosa
Braxton Dore, Sports Writer • April 13, 2024

After taking the home series over Kentucky last weekend, No. 12 Texas A&M softball received a well-deserved break over the week before traveling...

Ring Day run rule
Students, residents commemorates Eid Al-Fitr
Lasan Ukwatta Liyanage, Life & Arts Writer • April 11, 2024

This year's Eid Al-Fitr celebration, hosted by Texas A&M’s Muslim Student Association, or MSA, drew over 1,500 attendees on Wednesday,...

Student housing located right outside off campus boundaries on George Bush Drive. 
Guest Commentary: An open letter to City Hall
Ben Crockett, Guest Contributor • April 11, 2024

City Council, As representatives of the Texas Aggie Classes of 2024, 2025, 2026 and 2027, we write to you today to urge a reconsideration...

Just short of a sweep

Bulldogs’ sixth inning burst enough to edge Aggies out of sweep
Photo by Jaime Rowe
Sophomore INF Amari Harper (13) gets ready to run during Texas A&M’s game against UTSA on Feb. 25, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)

No. 17 Texas A&M softball concluded its weekend series against No. 21 Mississippi State on Sunday, March 17 in Starkville. The Aggies took the first two games in a doubleheader on Saturday, March 16 but could not contain the Bulldogs in Game 3, dropping the series finale 6-5.

“Sundays are hard,” coach Trisha Ford said. “On Sundays, we have to figure out how to come out here and grind it out.”

Fifth-year RHP Aspen Wesley showed some struggles early from the plate. She allowed four walks in the first inning, two from senior CF Jazmine Hill and senior C Julia Cottrill that allowed the Aggies to get set for scoring.

Sophomore DH Aiyana Coleman, with her fifth start of the season, came out swinging to get the Aggies on the board and create an early Aggie lead after a three-run RBI brought home Hill and Cottrill, pushing the score to 3-0.

Mirroring Wesley, pitcher problems ensued for the Aggies as junior LHP Emiley Kennedy approached the plate in the bottom of the first inning. The D1 Softball National Pitcher of the week allowed back-to-back walks from junior CF Sierra Sacco and sophomore 3B Nadia Barbary. Fifth-year 1B Madisyn Kennedy cracked the bat for Mississippi state with a homer to center field bringing the score to 3-3.

Hill kept the Maroon and White alive at the top of the second inning after sophomore 3B Kennedy Powell fouled out, junior SS Koko Wooley grounded out and 1B Trinity Cannon struck out. Hill, with the only spark of the inning, hit a homer to center field and gave the Aggies a fourth point.

A pair of dry innings followed for both squads until the Bulldogs found a fourth run in the bottom of the fourth inning. Kennedy allowed her fifth walk of the game to fifth-year LF Brylie St. Claire scored to tie the game 4-4, after Barbary went up to bat and doubled to left center.

In the fifth inning, neither team found home plate. Strikeout was Wesley’s motto for the top of the sixth inning as she found momentum in her pitch to completely take the Aggies out of their game. Back-to-back strikeouts from Cottrill and Coleman followed by junior RF Allie Enright lining out to left field left the Aggies scoreless in an inning, once again.

Mississippi State found its victory in the bottom of the sixth with a few bulldogs on bases. St. Claire scored on a passed ball, and Barbary ran in to score after a right field hit from freshman OF Ella Wesolowski.

At the top of the seventh inning, Mississippi State led with six runs while the Aggies were still locked in at four. Senior 2B Rylen Wiggins hit a much needed RBI single to left center and notched a fifth run for the Aggies.

Despite Wiggins’ efforts, it was not enough for the Aggies to complete the sweep after Wooley and Hill closed out batting for A&M but could not land on a base.

The loss to Mississippi State marks the first conference loss for the Aggies this season and notches the third conference win of the season for the Bulldogs.

“We didn’t do a great job of executing our game plan,” Ford said. “We had a couple of opportunities but we just ran out of time.”

The Aggies continue on the road to San Marcos Wednesday, March 20 to face the Texas State Bobcats with the first pitch set for 6 p.m.

“We just have to go back to the drawing board,” Ford said. “We have a tough opponent mid week and obviously we have Auburn at home this weekend.”