Photo Courtesy of Maddie Pearson
For the love of birds: Students unite to protect migratory species
J. M. Wise, News Reporter • April 25, 2024

The deadliest building on campus for birds is one dedicated to studying them. At least 23 birds this year have been killed from window collisions...

Graduate WR Ainias Smith (0) makes a face to the South Carolina crowd after scoring a touchdown during Texas A&Ms game vs. South Carolina at Kyle Field on Saturday, Oct. 28, 2023. Smith lead the team with 118 recieving yards against the Gamecocks.
Wide receiver Ainias Smith taken by Eagles with 152nd overall pick
Neil Jhurani, Sports Writer • April 27, 2024

There’s a new home for Ainias Smith in Philadelphia. The former Texas A&M wide receiver has been selected with the 152nd pick in the...

Nicholas GutteridgeApril 25, 2024

Art critic Theresa Lozano says Taylor Swift’s “The Tortured Poets Department” isn’t as bad as other critics say it is. (Photo courtesy of Republic Records)
Criticism: ‘The Tortured Poets Department’
Theresa Lozano, Life & Arts Writer • April 25, 2024

Rating: 8.8/10 From an anticipated release to a surprise double album at 2 a.m., Taylor Swift put it all out there with her recently released...

Wooley hits, Eschete scores

A&M softball secured a 3-2 win in Game 2 over Auburn, taking the series
Photo by Jaime Rowe
Sophomore INF Amari Harper (13) catches the ball during Texas A&M’s game against UNT on March 6, 2024 at Davis Diamond. (Jaime Rowe/The Battalion)

Texas A&M softball took Game 2 and the series with a 3-2 win over Auburn on Saturday, March 23 with help from junior SS Koko Wooley’s batting.

“We were really pleased,” junior LF Kramer Eschete said.

Auburn’s junior C Anna Wohlers hit a homer past senior CF Jazmine Hill who lost her glove over the fence in the process. Fans watching from the grass outside of Davis tossed it back to her. The Aggies stepped up to bat down 1-0 in the bottom of the first.

With two outs against the Maroon and White, Hill doubled down the left field line. Hill’s hit was the only one of the first for A&M as senior RHP Shaylee Ackerman returned to the circle.

“[Ackerman]’s understanding what makes her effective on the mound,” coach Trisha Ford said.

Ackerman worked the count full for three consecutive batters, but struck out the second in senior DP KK McCrary swinging to the dismay of McCrary as went to walk. The third batter, junior 1B Amelia Lech, was walked.

“I felt really great,” Ackerman said. “It’s fun to come out to throw a full seven innings.”

The Aggie’s bats were not hot as two of the three batters in the bottom of the second struck out swinging against senior RHP Maddie Penta.

Initially called safe, junior CF Makayla Packer earned the Tigers’ second out after Ford challenged the play. Ackerman was quick to respond to Packer’s bunt and threw to sophomore 1B Amari Harper.

“When we play really clean defense, we tend to win softball games,” Ford said. “It’s a funny thing how that works.”

On the first pitch of the bottom of the third, Eschete doubled to left center field. Eschete advanced to third on a wild pitch by Penta. Wooley’s bunt sent her to first on a fielder’s choice as Eschete slid into home to even the score, 1-1.

Wooley advanced to third on Harper’s ground out, but Auburn’s coach Mickey Dean used two challenges on the play. Dean challenged that Wooley left first early and that she was out at third, but both of the calls stood.

After an uneventful fourth inning, Ackerman started off the fifth with a strike out against McCrary. The Aggie defense had a second consecutive 1-2-3 inning.

“I thought Shaylee [Ackerman] threw a great game, played clean defense,” Ford said.

Eschete singled up the middle, stole second and scored off of Wooley’s single through the left side. Wooley advanced to second on the throw, and Eschete had earned the first two runs of the game for the Aggies.

With a walk and a base hit, the Tigers had two runners on base. After a ground out by Wohlers, junior 2B Rose Roach advanced to second and Packer went to third. After a pop up secured by senior 2B Rylen Wiggins, the Aggies went up to bat.

Earning her seventh homer of the season, junior RF Allie Enright sent it out past right field to increase the Maroon and White’s lead, 3-1.

“When Allie [Enright] hit that home run we were like okay, feeling a lot better,” Eschete said.

With two outs up for the Tigers, Lech hit a homer off Ackerman on a 2-2 count to left center field. The final push was not enough for Auburn as A&M moved to 27-4 on the season and 7-1 in conference.

The Aggies will return to Davis in hopes to sweep the series against Auburn on Sunday, March 24 at 1 p.m.