There continues to be an increase in Aggies working in D.C. The PPIP program at A&M is one instrumental program for students to shape their careers. (Graphic by Ethan Mattson/The Battalion)
Why D.C. wants all the Aggies
Stacy Cox, News Reporter • April 22, 2024

More Aggies are calling Washington, D.C. home than ever with the aid of programs like the Public Policy Internship Program, or PPIP. The program...

Sophomore DB Jacoby Mattews (2) and sophomore DB Sam McCall (16) attempt to stop LSU WR Malik Nabers during Texas A&Ms game against LSU on Saturday, Nov. 25, 2023 at Tiger Stadium (Katelynn Ivy/The Battalion)
2024 NFL Draft: Ranking every first round-graded pass catcher
Mathias Cubillan, Sports Writer • April 22, 2024

As NFL defenses have found ways to stifle scoring opportunities and keep the lid on big plays, a bigger burden falls on the pass catchers for...

Members of Aggie Replant pick up trash at Aggie Park on Feb. 5, 2024. (Photo courtesy of Mayra Puga)
Aggies come together to promote sustainability
Ayena Kaleemullah, Life & Arts Writer • April 22, 2024

As Earth Day arrives in Aggieland, talks about environmental action are growing. From planting trees to creating an impactful sustainable lifestyle,...

Texas A&M professor Dr. Christina Belanger teaches her Geology 314 class on Wednesday, April 3, 2024, in the Halbouty Geosciences Building. (CJ Smith/The Battalion)
Opinion: Stop beating the dead [virtual] horse
Eddie Phillips, Opinion Writer • April 22, 2024

Snow days were my favorite days of grade school. I would wake up extra early to stand in my living room to peer through the glass toward the...

Stellar seventh inning leads Aggies to victory in fall exhibition

Photo by Julianne Shivers

Sophomore OF Keely Williams (18) makes contact with the ball at Texas A&Ms scrimmage against Blinn College on Oct.19, 2023 at Davis Diamond. (Julianne Shivers/ The Battalion)

The Texas A&M Softball team hosted the Blinn Buccaneers in a fall exhibition on Thursday, Oct. 19. The Aggies hit the Davis Diamond field in pink uniforms to honor breast cancer awareness and edged the Buccaneers out 18-2 after nine innings.
In the top of the second inning, freshman Blinn outfielder Haley Hughes stole second base as fellow freshman outfielder Ripley Walker searched for a hit at bat but eventually walked to first base. Meanwhile, Hughes also managed to steal third base. Sophomore first baseman Haley Rust toppled a ball into the air that led to the first run for the Buccaneers, scored by Hughes.
To claim the bottom of the second inning, the Aggies gave Blinn trouble on the basepath, stealing multiple bases while putting four runs on the board. Hitting the bases early for the Aggies was freshman first baseman Amari Harper, who walked to first base after a series of rough pitches from the Bucs.
Sophomore right fielder Allie Enright batted second for A&M and hit a ball out left towards third base but a throw and catch exchange from Rust to freshman first baseman Bailey Boetjer ended in an out with a stolen second base from Harper.
Aggies sat on first and second base as sophomore right fielder Allie Wiggins went up to bat. The Wylie native drew a walk to first base. Sophomore shortstop Koko Wooley was up to bat next, and she knocked a ball out deep to right field, clearing to the bases and collecting four runs to conclude the bottom of the second inning.
The Buccaneers picked up a second run in the top of the sixth with a triple from freshman infielder Kayden Harms, who landed on third base after sending a ball deep into right field that barely missed the glove of freshman Aggie outfielder Scout Lovell.
Sophomore Blinn catcher Madyson Henly followed after, hitting a ball that was caught and sent to first base, but still allowed a run from Harms. The run ended a drought of three scoreless innings from both squads.
The Aggies then took over, stealing all of the momentum at the bottom of the seventh inning. Wooley batted first, letting the ball tap the bat for a sprint to first base. Freshman third baseman Kennedy Powell followed with a tap of her own, putting runners on first and second.
With a runner in scoring position, Enright approached the batter’s box. Enright drew a walk, loading the bases as Wiggins prepared to hit. Wiggins then sent a fast ground ball to left field and the Aggies collected two more runs.
The Aggies continued to send balls flying and drive in runs in the crooked seventh frame. Sealing the seventh inning was a hit from Harper, sending freshmen Keely Williams and Jazmine Hill home to cap a 10-run seventh inning.
Making things difficult for the Buccaneers in the circle was fifth-year Brooke Vestal, senior Shaylee Ackerman, and sophomores Emily Kennedy and Emily Leavitt, who combined for a total of 10 strikeouts. Sophomore Peyton Welker pitched seven innings for the Bucs, striking out four Aggies.
Eight Aggies teamed up for more than one run. Powell put four on the board, Wooley followed with three, while Hill, Williams, Harper, Wiggins and junior Kramer Eschete saw double with two runs each. Scout was the ninth Aggie to tap home base, adding one run of her own.
The Aggies return to Davis Diamond on Tuesday, Oct. 24 to face the McClennan Highlanders in another fall exhibition. First pitch is set for 6 p.m.