Study abroad office to host FIFA party

Graphic by Josh Seal

USA and Germany will go head-to-head Thursday in an elimination round that will determine if the U.S. advances in the World Cup.
Texas A&M’s Study Abroad office will host an inaugural FIFA World Cup viewing party. There will be food, drinks and snacks for at least 50 people, said Jane Flaherty, study abroad director.
Flaherty said the study abroad office sees the viewing party as an opportunity to bring an international experience to students living on campus. She said it would be one of many ways to investigate relationships between countries.
“[The World Cup] certainly builds a lot of awareness about international rivalries and relationships, so it’s something Americans should pay attention to,” Flaherty said.
Student advisor Bianca Cusimano said that since soccer is a popular and well-followed sport througout the rest of the world, it instills a strong sense of national pride. She said this viewing party is a way to unite students.
“It’s an excellent event because it brings people from all over the world to support their team at the same event. If you’re lucky enough to go, it’s an opportunity to go visit and experience another country,” Cusimano said.
The USA will need to win or draw against Germany in order to guarantee an advance.
A Facebook group has been created through the Study Abroad office for students to RSVP to the event by Tuesday. The viewing party will be held at 11 a.m. Thursday in MSC 2401.