Texas A&M Aggies guard Tyrece Radford (23) blocks Arkansas Razorbacks guard Tramon Mark (12) during Texas A&M’s game against Arkansas on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024, at Reed Arena. (Ishika Samant/The Battalion)
Free falling
Jace LaViolette (17) an Head Coach Jim Schlossnagle celebrating a home run during Texas A&Ms game against UIW on Tuesday, Feb. 20, 2024 at Olsen Field. (Hannah Harrison/The Battalion)
GALLERY: Baseball vs. UIW
Texas A&M outfielder Jace Laviolette (17) catches a pop fly during Texas A&M’s game against McNeese on Sunday, Feb. 18, 2024 at Blue Bell Park. (Chris Swann/The Battalion)
Free falling
GALLERY: Baseball vs. UIW

Sumlin, assistants to see pay increases, Board of Regents said

After an inaugural season riddled with such highlights as a toppling of No. 1 Alabama on the road, a 41-13 win in the Cotton Bowl, a Heisman Trophy-winning quarterback and a Top 5 finish, many expected an ample reward for head coach Kevin Sumlin and his assistants. On Thursday, that reward was solidified.
The A&M football coaches find themselves in line for new contracts after the Board of Regents authorized University President R. Bowen Loftin to execute the deals.
Director of Athletics Eric Hyman referenced Sumlins 2012 success in a statement released after the meeting.
Coach Sumlin and the Aggie football coaching staff accomplished a great deal in our first year in the Southeastern Conference, Hyman said. They are laying the foundation for continued success in the most challenging conference in the country.
Hyman said the contracts approval came in the interest of preserving the programs current head of steam.
There is a lot of positive momentum across the campus and this will help us continue in that forward direction, Hyman said.
Certain details regarding the contracts are still under review, but the University has reached agreement on key aspects of the new deals, including compensation.
Sumlin voiced his thanks in a statement.
I am very appreciative of the support of our administration toward our football program, Sumlin said.
Prior to last season, A&M signed Sumlin to a five-year deal worth about $2 million annually, which placed him among the lowest earners of SEC coaches. By comparison, Alabamas Nick Saban winner of three national championships in the past four years makes better than $5 million per year. Only Kentuckys Joker Philips earned less than Sumlin did under his current deal in 2012 before incentives.
Exact figures for all contract extensions and raises will be released at a later date.