Swimming and diving win big on road

Photo by FILE

The Texas A&M men’s and women’s swimming and diving teams both defeated Michigan State and Notre Dame over the weekend.

Both Texas A&M swimming and diving teams improved to 2-0 after victories over Notre Dame on Saturday at the Rolfs Aquatic Center on the Notre Dame campus. The No. 5 Texas A&M women’s team won 211-136 over the No. 25 Irish, while the No. 15 Aggie men took down No. 17 Notre Dame 193.5-159.5.
After dominating on day one, the Aggie women started the second day of competition off strong, taking the top two spots in the 200m medley. Seniors Lisa Bratton, Jorie Caneta and Beryl Gastaldello, along with sophomore Amy Miller, led the way with a time of 1:39.34.
Gastaldello was the only Aggie with multiple individual wins, clocking a time of 53.43 in the 100m butterfly and a 22.40 in the 50m free.
Three other women won their individual events for the Aggies. Senior Bethany Galat won the 400 IM with a time of 4:13.81. In the 200 breaststroke, Caneta paced the field with a time of 2:12.08, while Bratton took first place in the 100m backstroke with a 55.23.
The Aggie men also started the day on a high note with a victory in the 200m medley relay. Seniors Brock Bonetti and Mauro Castillo, along with junior Angel Martinez and sophomore Adam Koster took the win with a time of 1:29.08.
The Aggies swept the top three spots in the 200m breaststroke and the three-meter dive. In the breaststroke, Castillo led the way with a time of 1:58.56, followed by senior Jonathan Tybur and freshman Tanner Olson. In the three-meter dive, junior Sam Thornton took the top spot with a score of 370.95, while senior Tyler Henschel and junior Skylar Lake finished second and third.
Sophomore Ben Walker came through with a big individual victory, dominating the field in the 400m IM with a time of 3:53.10.
On Friday, both teams notched victories in their opening meet of the season on the road. A&M first faced off against Michigan State. The women rounded out the day with first place victories in the 200m butterfly, 200m backstroke and the three-meter diving events. A&M outscored the Spartans 98-62.
The men took first place titles in the 200m individual medley, 200m backstroke, 100m breaststroke, 100m freestyle, 200m butterfly, one-meter diving and 400m medley relay. The men tallied a similar score to the women to down the Spartans 98-64.
Both teams will be back in action on Oct. 21 when they match up against the Auburn Tigers in Auburn, Alabama.