Szeryk, Texas A&M finish tied for second at Maryb S. Kauth Invitational

Photo by Courtesy of Jeff Heuhn/UTSA

Senior Maddie Szeryk finished tied for second at the Maryb S. Kauth Invitational.

After nearly a month away from competition, the Texas A&M women’s golf team finished in a tie for second at the Maryb S. Kauth Invitational in San Antonio on Tuesday.
The Aggies tied with TCU, ending the tournament at 4-under-par (860). Arkansas ran away with first place, finishing at 22-under-par.
A&M shot 8-over-par on day one of competition, landing them halfway down the leaderboard in a tie for seventh.
The Aggies fought back in the second round, ending the day in third place after firing 9-under-par, their best round of the year and sixth-best in school history.
A three-under round (285) on day three saw A&M climb to the runner-up spot by tournament’s end.
“I am proud of our team for bouncing back from a little bit of a rough start on Sunday, to finish strong and end up under par for the tournament,” head coach Trelle McCombs said to 12thMan.com. “This team didn’t give up on the plan that we had going in, and finished with two really good rounds to finish tied for second.”
A familiar face led the way for the Aggies, as two-time All-American and senior Maddie Szeryk ended the tournament individually in a tie for second at 8-under-par.
The senior has finished inside the top-10 in all four tournaments this season, including two runner-up finishes. Szeryk fired rounds of par or better on all three days and was inside the top five in par-3 and par-5 scoring, as well as total birdies, for the week.
Sophomore Courtney Dow finished in a tie for 15th at 2-over-par. Illustrating her resiliency after playing her first nine holes at 7-over-par, Dow played her remaining 45 holes at 5-under-par. She ended her week inside the top-10 in total birdies and par-5 scoring.
Morgan Lay just missed out on a top-30 finish, tying for 31st at 6-over-par. The freshman showed consistency on the course, carding rounds of 75, 74 and 73 and finished in a tie for fifth in par-5 scoring for the tournament.
Freshman Amber Park shared 46th place with fellow newcomer Elizabeth Caldarelli, who was competing as an individual, as both finished at 10-over-par. Junior Chloe Velasco rounded out the team, finishing in a tie for 54th at 13-over-par.
A&M is back in action on Oct. 30-31 when they will be hosted by SMU at the Trinity Forest Invitational in Dallas.