Takeaways from A&M vs. Ole Miss

Tanner Garza — THE BATTALION

1. Record-setting attendance- Kyle Field hosted 110, 633 people Saturday night, an SEC record as well as a Texas state record for a football game of any kind. Due to construction, Kyle Field will “downsize” to a 102,512 capacity next year.
2. Offensive struggles- The Aggies were shut out in the first half under head coach Kevin Sumlin for the first time Saturday, and did not score until there was 7:05 left in the third quarter. The offense also turned the ball over three times, and twice Ole Miss returned it for a touchdown. A&M also rushed the ball 35 times for just 54 yards, a season low.
3. Defense bends, doesn’t break- The defense surrendered 338 yards and 21 points to the Rebels offense, giving up 14 points in the first half. By contrast, Alabama gave up 396 yards and 23 points to Ole Miss, including 13 fourth quarter points.
4. Consecutive losses- A&M suffered its second consecutive loss under Kevin Sumlin for only the second time Saturday. The only other time A&M has gone on a losing streak under Sumlin was when it lost the final two regular season games of 2013.
5. Drop in the polls- The Aggies dropped to No. 21 in both the AP and Coaches polls. A&M has been ranked in the AP Top 25 for 35 straight weeks dating back to 2012, but risks ending that streak should it lose to Alabama this coming weekend.