Taming the Cougars

Photo by Kaylee Cogbill

Junior Kendall Potts had three strikeouts in her win against BYU on March 30.

It was a cold and windy afternoon as the Aggies began their second game against Brigham Young University. A late rally gave Texas A&M (22-13) the series sweep over Cougars (13-18) on Saturday in College Station, as they beat BYU 4-0.
The second started out slow offensively for both squads, as A&M pitcher Kendall Potts (9-5) and BYU starting pitcher Autumn Moffat (6-10) were able to contain batters for the majority of the game.
Both teams were able to get runners on base through the first five innings. But each squad left much to be desired, as they were unable to capitalize with runners on base for much of the day.
Leading the charge offensively was first-baseman Payton McBride. McBride went 2-for-2 with two singles, one run scored and was intentionally walked.
A&M was able to find a spark late in game, mustering eight hits in the last three innings.
Freshman Baylee Klingler’s double to right-field began the four-run rally in the bottom of the sixth inning. The third baseman scored two batters later after a sacrifice bunt by Riley Sartain turned into an error by Moffat.
Freshman Haley Lee extended the lead to 2-0 after a single to right-field brought McBride home from third. The inning continued after Sartain was able to score off of a sacrifice fly by sophomore Dani Elder. The Aggies ended the sixth-inning with a 4-0 lead after freshman Kayla Garcia hit a single to drive in pinch-runner Ashlynn Walls.
“I think it was really just our intensity, Klingler said.” We know we can come from behind. We know that we can score runs.” Klinger said. “I think it’s really just initiating that fight.”
A&M was efficient in all phases of the game, as the team came out of the day with no errors defensively. A&M pitchers gave up three hits and a walk with no run, to shut out BYU. Offensively, the Aggies produced nine-hits and four-runs, ending with a .375 average collectively.
The Aggies have a 2-7 record in conference play. They have been able to capitalize off a win last Sunday over the No. 4 Alabama Crimson Tide. A&M came into this weekend after a double-header sweep against Sam Houston State Wednesday in College Station.
The Aggies will look to build off this past week as they gear up for the bulk of their SEC schedule.
“I think we’re playing with more confidence,” A&M head Coach Jo Evans said. “I’m pleased right now with our mentality.”
Texas A&M will be back in action Tuesday as they take on the Tigers. The first game of the double-header will began at 4 p.m., with the final contest following around 6 p.m. The games will be broadcast on the SEC Network+.