Texas A&M beats Ole Miss for second-straight win

Photo by Courtesy of The Daily Mississippian via Ariel Cobbert

Senior guard JC Hampton scored six points and dished out four assists in the Aggies’ 80-76 win over Ole Miss.

Texas A&M men’s hoops had lost five of six going into last Saturday’s game against Georgia, but now find themselves in a two-game win streak after knocking off the Ole Miss Rebels 80-76 on the road Wednesday night.

The Aggies hadn’t won back to back games since Dec. 7 and Dec. 10, and now sit at 11-8 overall and 3-5 in SEC play.

After both teams started out hot on the offensive end, Robert Williams stole the show. The freshman big man from Louisiana dominated the Rebels on his way to 13 points and eight rebounds, including five dunks, in just the first half as the Aggies led 47-39 going into the break. The Rebels then battled the second half to eventually tie it up at 73, but they never could regain the lead as the Aggies put the nail in the coffin at the free throw line.

A&M was without sophomore starting forward DJ Hogg due to a minor foot injury, but the Aggies didn’t miss a beat on the offensive end. In addition to Robert Williams, who finished with 15 points, 14 rebounds and two blocks, sophomores Admon Gilder and Tyler Davis led the way for the Aggies. Gilder contributed everywhere, including a career-high 22 points, adding seven rebounds, seven assists and four steals. Davis pitched in 20 points and five rebounds as well for Texas A&M.

Ole Miss was led by senior forward Sebastian Saiz and sophomore guard Terence Davis. Saiz scored 19 points and grabbed seven rebounds, while Davis also scored 19 points and added two rebounds.

The Aggies will look to make it three-straight wins as they travel to Morgantown, West Virginia to take on the No. 18 West Virginia Mountaineers. Tipoff is scheduled for 11 a.m. and will be aired nationally on ESPN.