Texas A&M defeats Washington 2-0, advances to round of 32

Soccer
Photo by File
Soccer

The Texas A&M Aggie soccer team is through to the round of 32 in the NCAA Tournament after defeating Washington 2-0 in an impressive all-around performance.

The Aggies two goals came from midfielder Kate Hajdu and forward Haley Pounds.

A&M (16-6-1) outshot Washington 18-13 and held more possession throughout the match. The Aggies were able to put immense pressure on the Huskies in their own final third which allowed the Huskies to have fewer chances.

Washington (12-7-2) put 13 shots on target but were held to only three on target. The Huskies looked to have a life again after they cut the lead to 2-1 but were unable to convert again. In the dying seconds they threw everything they could at A&M but fell just short.

Hajdu opened the scoring for the Aggies in the 24th minute of play with a brilliant individual effort. The freshman made moves to get past multiple defenders and then slotted the ball through the keeper’s legs to give A&M the 1-0 lead.

The midfielder elaborated on what was going through her head when she scored her fourth goal of the season.

“I’ve been working hard on trying to get forward into the attack,” said Hajdu. “Haley [Pounds] made a great check off her player and I found her and then got the ball back from her and I was close to the goal. “I knew I needed to shoot so I just put it away. I was being closed down really fast so I just poked it in.”

The Aggies then doubled their lead in the 53rd minute. Ashlynn Harryman sent in a deep ball to Pounds who got behind the defense. Pounds calmly controlled the ball and finished it past the keeper. The goal was the sophomore’s 13th of the season.

Harryman described the moment when she saw Pounds and provided the 50 yard assist.

“I heard her screaming for me and it allowed me to locate where she was,” said Harryman. “Then I just took a touch and tried to aim for her and good thing it got there. She controlled it really well because it wasn’t the easiest ball that I gave her.”

Pascale Dumesnil pulled one back for Washington in the 67th minute cutting the lead to 2-1. Kelcie Hedge found Dumesnil making a run on the left side of goal and provided an excellent ball for Dumesnil to tap in past Rice to cut the lead to 2-1.

The Aggie defense did their job for the remaining 23 minutes of the match.

Coach G Guerrieri said it’s awesome knowing with a win you’re going to move on in the tournament. The A&M coach shared his thoughts on the win after the match.

“I’m really proud of our players because I thought Washington was outstanding tonight,” Guerrieri said. “They’re comfortable on the ball and have a good ability to move it set them up with really dangerous chances. I thought we dodged a few bullets tonight. I’m really proud of the way our team was able to put up with that pressure.”

The Aggies will play against No. 3 North Carolina on Friday Nov. 20. The location and time has yet to be determined.