Texas A&M equestrian falls to No. 1 Auburn in first round of SEC Championships

Equestrian
Photo by File
Equestrian

The Texas A&M Equestrian team lost 11-9 at the hands of Auburn in the first round of the SEC Championships Friday.

The No. 4 Aggies (8-5) finished their regular season 8-5 and fell behind No. 1 Auburn (9-3) early in the semifinals of the SEC Championship. In the Auburn University Horse Center, the Aggies dropped Equitation over Fences, 3-2. Sophomore Rebekah Chenelle earned her point over Alex Ladove of Auburn, 135-119.

Junior Rachael Hake was in toe with her 11th victory of the season, a slim 166-165 defeat of Ashley Foster.

The Aggies were able to tie things up in the Western arena after claiming a 3-2 Horsemanship win. Junior Bailey Cook led the charge outscoring Hannah Stephens, 149.5-143.5.

Sophomore Sarah Orsak and senior Kace Fisher also tallied points of their own, bringing Fisher to a team-leading five MOPs.

The War Eagles began to pull ahead with a 4-1 performance in Equitation on the Flat, leading them to a 9-6 lead. Sophomore Rebekah Chenelle notched the Aggies’ lone point defeating Tory Hoft, 157-152.

The Aggies nearly rallied back in the final event with a 3-2 win in Reining. Senior Sarah McEntire tallied the opening point topping Blair McFarlin 142-141.5 in her MOP efforts. Sophomore Haley Franc and junior Madison Bohman followed suit to cut the Tigers’ lead down to 11-9.
Texas A&M will face off against South Carolina on Saturday afternoon in the consolation bracket.