Texas A&M men’s basketball faces uphill SEC schedule with first match against Vanderbilt

Mens+Basketball
Photo by Photo by: Morgan Engel
Men’s Basketball

Last week was a win-lose situation for the Aggies. They dropped a close game at Arkansas before returning to College Station and gaining what was their marquee win of the season over then-No. 14 ranked Iowa State.
The Aggies’ back-loaded SEC schedule does not get much easier as they hit the road for three of their next four games, beginning with a trip to Vanderbilt on Thursday evening. No. 8 A&M enters the game never having won at Memorial Gym, a notoriously difficult place to play a road contest, in three total trips.
This game marks the beginning of the final stretch for A&M, and an SEC regular season title is a highly attainable goal. But even though it is within reach, there is still more climbing to be done.
A&M (18-3, 7-1 SEC) has put together its best record through 21 games in program history, sharing that title with teams from 2006-2007 and as far back as 1921-1922. 
Jalen Jones has been the catalyst for A&M all over the floor. The senior was recently named a finalist for the Jerry West Award given annually to the best shooting guard. He is seventh in the SEC, averaging 16.8 points per outing this year, and has put up 20-plus points in five of the eight SEC games thus far. 
Defensively, the Aggies have one of the best efficiency ratings in the entire NCAA, and allow an SEC-best 64.9 points per game to their opponents. 
Also watch for a resurgent Danuel House. The senior shooter struggled for a few games but began to find his stroke last week, averaging a team-best 22 points in the previous two games. 
The Aggies will be up against the Commodores (12-9, 4-4 SEC) on Vanderbilt’s turf Thursday. Vanderbilt has a 9-2 record at home and possess four players who all shoot over 40 percent from three-point range (min. 30 shots). Matthew Fisher-Davis leads the way, shooting 49 percent from the arc and behind him, Wade Baldwin IV (46 percent), Jeff Roberson (45 percent) and Riley Lachance (40 percent) round out the group.
The Aggies and Commodores are scheduled to tip-off at 6 p.m. Thursday. The match can be viewed on ESPN2.