Texas A&M softball looks to build on strong start in Wednesday matchup

Photo by Cassie Stricker

Riley Sartain throws her arms up in the air as she runs down the final stretch to home plate.

After closing out the Aggie Classic with a 4-1 record, the No. 20 Texas A&M softball team will take the field again on Wednesday at Davis Diamond against Prairie View A&M.
The Aggies had quite the weekend, with all five games ending in five innings, as opposed to the seven innings usually played in regulation. A&M also compiled the most runs in the first five games since the 1993 season, ending the classic with 53 runs and giving up just 14.
A&M’s sole loss of the weekend came from the University of North Texas on Saturday. In the 10-2 defeat, junior pitcher Payton McBride said the team had to make changes in their game plan because UNT was dominating in its defensive performance.
“I think we were just being really aggressive and trying to swing at balls that we shouldn’t have been swinging at,” McBride said. “We weren’t as relaxed and confident in trying to get base hits like we had done the first three games.”
Prairie View last met with A&M in the first game of the NCAA College Station Regional during the 2018 season. The Aggies controlled the field and took away a 9-0 victory against PVAMU.
The game was over in five innings and racked up season records for the now-former A&M players. Then-senior infielder Tori Vidales recorded her 12th home run and scored two of the nine runs for the Aggies, while former A&M pitcher Samantha Show earned her sixth shutout of the season after allowing only two strikes and two runners on base.
A&M will face Prairie View on Wednesday at Davis Diamond. First pitch is set for 4 p.m., and the game will be televised on the SEC Network.