Texas A&M volleyball wins second game of conference play

Photo by Photo by Cassie Stricker

Junior Hollann Hans contributed 30 points to the Aggies’ victory over Georgia.

The Texas A&M volleyball team defeated Georgia to earn their second win in conference play Sunday at Reed Arena.
The Aggies conquered the Bulldogs in the first set. Junior outside hitter Hollann Hans had another standout performance with back-to-back kills that gave the Aggies an early lead. While Georgia fought hard, A&M ultimately clinched a victory for the first set.
The second set was another win for the Aggies. This set was closer, as there were 10 ties and five lead changes throughout. A&M’s junior outside hitter Maddie Douglas was the standout player for this set, breaking the Bulldog’s lead off a block. Also noteworthy was sophomore setter Camille Connor, who had multiple kills throughout the set, with her last putting A&M at match point. The Bulldog’s lost the set with a hit into the net.
The third set did not go as well for the Aggies. The Bulldogs took an early lead, reaching 19-11 before A&M regained their momentum. Sophomore outside hitter Samantha Sanders made numerous noteworthy plays during this set. She had three kills this set, with the third tying the score. However, it was not enough and the Aggies fell to the Bulldogs 25-21, with the set point being an error.
Georgia began the fourth set with a early 8-1 lead, but A&M fought hard. Hans eventually tied the score up with back-to-back aces. The Bulldogs simply outhit the Aggies this set, with Georgia’s sophomore outside hitter Rachel Ritchie securing seven kills, including the match point. This set was closer than the last one, as A&M lost by just two points.
In a nail-biting fifth set, both teams came out strong and fought hard. The Aggies were on fire this set, with multiple players having key moments. Sophomore middle blocker Makena Patterson had two aces while Hans and freshman middle blocker London Austin-Roark had consecutive kills. While the Bulldogs put up a fight, they lost the final set 15-9. This marks the first five-set victory of the season for A&M.
The win against Georgia marks the eleventh consecutive win for A&M against the Bulldogs. A&M head coach Laura Kuhn said she’s pleased with the team’s performance.
“I am proud of the way they grind and fight in these matches,” Kuhn told 12thman.com. “It doesn’t matter who we are playing, it is the game plan and it is execution.”
A&M’s third conference match will be against LSU on Sunday. First serve is at 1 p.m. at the Maravich Assembly Center in Baton Rouge, Louisiana.